ok, question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ok, question

I have primary progressive MS. I live at home with my husband and feed myself. My daughter is taking me to see a psychologist this week. I fill out the questioned report and am ready to go. My question is, since I was so honest on the questions, do I risk being taken unvoluntairly from my home.

I want to stay home..... I just want to stay home. Can they take me from my home without my consent?

Generally, no. Authorities cannot take a competent adult from their home against their will.

This varies by state, but in general there is an "Adult Protective Services" agency who has authority to remove an adult in danger (say from an abusive family member) to a safe place, while an investigation into the situation is conducted.

There is also usually a provision for some sort of "mental health hold" for crazy people who are not competent and are a "danger to themselves or others." My husband is an RN who used to do this as his full-time job. Usually the "hold" is for 24 - 48 - 72 hours, and then if the agency can't prove the person should continue to be held in a mental institution because of danger, they must be released.

Comment

Onlyairfare is right with the exception of if you are so cognitively impaired that you can't make decisions for yourself. For now, however, it seems like that is not the case. You have the right to make your own decisions if you are of sound mind and body, and are not a threat to yourself or others.

Take care
      Lisa
      Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
      SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
      Tysabri

Comment

Not sure what you mean by honest on their form.

OnlyAirfare mentioned what I thought of. If you tell them that you are thinking about killing yourself (or harming anyone else) you risk being confined for a while.

Comment

Working...
        X