housing problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

housing problems

I have MS & my husband passed away 3 yrs ago from stage 4 lung cancer. I've been fighting with the mtg company since then to get the mtg in my name and I've run out of money to pay my lawyer. I dont want to move as it will be a great hardship on my health...not to mention I cant afford local rents!

**URL removed by Moderator in compliance with MSWorld Guideline regarding solicitation***

Sorry to hear. Did the mortgage company or lawyer say what the problem is? Any chance your lawyer does some pro bono work? If not, can they recommend one? If the issue is relayed to your income and the mortgage amount, can you take a roommate in to help with bills,,, maybe pay the lawyer partially?
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

mtg problems

have you contacted the MS Society? They might be able to help. Maybe the Disability Act has some help for the disabled? Post to the lawyer who helps with social security, maybe he knows of somebody or organization. Contact the veterans administration they may be able to refer you someplace even if your not a vet, was your husband a vet? Keep posting we can keep brainstorming.

Comment

I guess I don't understand why you would have to fight with the Mortgage Company and why a lawyer is needed.

When a spouse dies everything reverts to the surviving spouse. There is usually proof of death (death certificate) needed for Mortgage Companies, to change car titles, Loans, ect.

The only reason that I am aware of needing a Lawyer for at that point is due to complications such as not legally being married, money owed, ect.

Maybe I'm missing something
        Diagnosed 1984
        “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

I don't understand this either. What does mtg mean?

I definitely understand why you don't want to move. I am living in an apartment that I'm not going to be able to afford much longer. Out of desperation I found an apartment complex in a beautiful place. They have a waiting list so i put my name on it. Last time I asked I they said I was 97th on the waiting list.

Housing is a real challenge for disable people. We need places that are accessible and we don't have money. At least the problem has been addressed. I remember when I was studying for the architectural license exam, I had to be prepared to design a building that was handicap accessible. There are so many rules to learn. At the time, I was annoyed that handicap codes were dictating the design of the building.

Now, I'm grateful for every grab bar, every ramp and every restroom that has a 5' turning radius inside.

But I don't think that was your question. If you could clarify it maybe we could help.

Comment

If you are in the US, call legal aid now. Mortgage problems can often be fixed, but reversing a foreclosure, even an illegal one is very difficult. If you can't find legal aid, call your local bar association, explain your situation and ask about a referral for a pro bono attorney. (pro bono = free to you).

I am not a social worker, but it might help if you could find one. You need to find out what your local non-profits and government resources are, soon.

Best of luck. Finding the kinds of services you need is hard work.

Comment

Originally posted by palmtree View Post
              I don't understand this either. What does mtg mean?
              mtg = mortgage
              Diagnosed 1984
              “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Now I get it. But I agree with Snoopy, a surviving spouse should automatically receive title. It doesn't make sense that they would foreclose if you are making the payments.

Has your husband's estate gone into probate? If you have to sell the house to cover lawyer's fees to fight probate, that would be a shame.

Comment

Working...
                X