A flu shot adventure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A flu shot adventure

So this year I went to get a flu shot, and 24 hours later I reacted to it in a way that left me with a fever and flu like symptoms.

As anyone with MS knows, raised body temperature is not a good thing. I ended up in the ER, and had to stay in the hospital for 4 days! This was my first ever stay in the hospital and I just got out today.

The neuro on call tried to get me started on steroids, but I refused them because I didn't believe it was a relapse.

After running every test know to man on me, and doing a full MRI of the head and spine, they concluded that the flu shot was to blame.

The good thing that came from this stay in the hospital was that the MRI showed that I had absolutely no new lesions and no activity, which increased my confidence in Tecfidera.

Once I felt better I joked to the neuro on call that I would never get a flu shot again. I got a stern talking to about how it's better to have a three day reaction than to deal with an actual flu. I have to agree.

Anyone else had a reaction to a flu shot?

Vaccinations are on my "no can do" list.

I had exacerbations with flu shots and put up with them, but each vaccination seemed to increase my post vaccine symptoms.

After I had the pneumonia vaccine, I had a "big time" exacerbation, and at that point the neuro said I should
    lay off vaccinations...which I have.

Fortunately I haven't gotten the flu (knock on wood) for
    years, and I did have pneumonia...but it was the kind of pneumonia that wouldn't have been prevented by the vaccine.

My GP and my neuro are okay with the no vaccination route...but everybody's different, and from what I've read on this forum,most people have no reaction to the vaccines.

P.S. I developed MS a few months after I had had the HepB vaccine. Years ago, when I had that vaccine there was a British study linking the HepB vaccine to MS. That info has since been rescinded, but I still wonder if it was a trigger for me, especially in light of my subsequent reactions to vaccines.

Comment

I too got sick from this year's shot...same as you a fever and flu-like symptoms...but not near as bad as you. Disappeared after a couple days. But my doc actually warned me about it in advance...he said more people than average were getting sick. So I was prepared.

I am one of the folks that rarely get affected by vaccines. However the Military Typhoid shot series knocked me on my can! Dreaded it. The first one did put me in the Hospital...so I understand how people get sick from vaccines.
      Katie
      "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
      "My MS is a Journey for One."
      Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Interesting. I did find out after I was in the hospital that this year's flu shot is particularly "robust", as they put it. There were other people that ended up in the hospital, mostly people with compromised immune systems.

Last year it barely affected me.

Getting MS from a vaccine, now that gives me something new to research, thanks The thing is we can't rule out any potential cause, can we? It is still unknown what causes MS.

Comment

Interesting that more people

are getting sick from the flu shot this year - the public isn't being told. In fact, they're telling everyone to go out and get one due to the ebola scare.
          I've always taken the flu shot for the past several years, with no reaction, but haven't had one yet this year. Now I'm a bit concerned.

Comment

Originally posted by its2much View Post
            are getting sick from the flu shot this year - the public isn't being told. In fact, they're telling everyone to go out and get one due to the ebola scare.
            I've always taken the flu shot for the past several years, with no reaction, but haven't had one yet this year. Now I'm a bit concerned.
            Here is the CDC report for the 2014 Flu Shot.

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/keyfacts.htm

It does list fever and aches as a side effect.

I normally do not have any reaction. This year I did...and it made me sick, but no flaring. I would take Tylenol before and a few days after though.

For me...I'm glad I took the shot.
            Katie
            "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
            "My MS is a Journey for One."
            Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

No, I have never had a reaction to a flu shot. I just wanted to say how sorry I am you had to endure this and I am glad you are doing better.
              God Bless Us All

Comment

No reaction to the flu shot here. Glad you're feeling better though. Congrats on the clear MRI, glad to hear that!

Comment

Thanks guys And yes, I will get the flu shot again next year. I also agree that Tylenol to lower a potential fever is a great thing to have on hand.

I do have to say that as my first ever stay in a hospital, I've learned that it's actually not that bad of a place and the staff are eternally cheerful. It was an eye opener

Comment

Thanks for the heads up

Positive MS, I am sorry that you had a bad reaction and am glad that things turned out well. Thanks for the information. I was going to get a flu shot over the weekend but after reading your post I called my docs office and was told to wait until after the results of my next blood test in 2 weeks to make sure my blood counts do not go down too much with my new treatment. Your post many have saved me much grief so thank you.

Comment

Working...
                    X