No announcement yet.

Mind over Matter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I focus on others more than myself. First are my pets, and while it can be a challenge to care for them some days, they are patient, non-judgemental, and comforting. I know they depend on me so I can force myself into doing what they need me to do. Their gratitude is always endless, they make me laugh, and being love unconditionally is very uplifting. I believe God shines on us through the least of his creatures.

Then comes my mom and brother. Doing things to help them makes me feel good, though it is hard to convince them of that sometimes. They want to protect me from doing to much, but I have to remind them while it may be harder physically, it helps me tremendously mentally and emotionally.

I have also volunteered, and that helped a lot. There are always those less fortunate. It is good to be reminded of that.

And, I forgive myself for needing to "be sick" some days. I used to fight the physical issues, wouldn't go to bed in the day, would still clean if I felt dizzy, but now, I listen to my body and don't beat myself up emotionally over it. I know not getting stressed about it will help my body to heal much faster.

Comment

Originally posted by KSeraSera View Post
      And, I forgive myself for needing to "be sick" some days. I used to fight the physical issues, wouldn't go to bed in the day, would still clean if I felt dizzy, but now, I listen to my body and don't beat myself up emotionally over it. I know not getting stressed about it will help my body to heal much faster.
      Good thought, KSeraSera! After living with MS for 25 years now, I eventually came to this same realization. It took me years, however. (btw, Love your username)

One thing that really helps me is doing yoga. I use a more modified approach now, but the gentle movements and deep breathing help me stay emotionally centered, keeps my body more pain free and relaxed and lifts my mood.

Reading, knitting and gardening are essential hobbies that take my thoughts of MS away so it isn't always in the foreground~ Naps always help too
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Smile

Originally posted by 4boysmom View Post
        I try to give service to others, and try to make others smile. Surprising how those smiles come back at you
        This is extremely true! Smiling can make someone else feel good and it certainly comes back at you! You also typically look better when you smile. Most people feel better when they look better.

Comment

Originally posted by KSeraSera View Post
          Thank you for sharing this.
          Tawanda

Comment

Wish Montel would share where in the hail he got his "box". I (and many) could sure use that box.
            Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Comment

Originally posted by fishead View Post
              Wish Montel would share where in the hail he got his "box". I (and many) could sure use that box.
              LOL! Ya know, I love Montel and his positivity, but sometimes he acts so manic I can't help but wonder if he's just as scared out of his wits about having this disease as I am! If I find a similar box, I plan to put all my annoying paresthesias in it!
              Tawanda

Comment

Tawanda,
                I agree with you. Montel sure seems to have a lot of fear, but hey who am I to belittle him? I have fear TOO
                Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Comment

Working...
                X