neurocognitive testing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

neurocognitive testing

Hello. 4 years ago I had a neurocognitive test done. I had deficits across the board. The neuropsyc said he felt it was due to depression and stress and that I should go back on the antidepressants.
    I never believed and I dont believe my neurologist does either.

Because I already had the cognitive issues before I started dealing with the depression.
    I believe that the information I gave him about financial issues,depression,antidepressants, binge eating etc. before the testing got started that that is what he based his findings on. I could be way off base here but.....

When I was on the antidepressants they did NOTHING for my cognitive issues.

MY question is what should be revealed to the neuropsyc before the testing begins? Any thoughts? I go back for anothet test in December.

Hi meissie47,

I feel you need to be completely honest with your medical and mental health history. Simply having a history of mental health problems (stress & depression) will not make a NeuroPsych lean in that direction as an outcome.

There is a lot that goes into a NeuroPsych evaluation and testing.

I have had a NeuroPsych evaluation/testing. I was very honest about personal issues, medications, medical and mental health problems.

A medication was the main problem and needed to be stopped but there was still another component that could be anyone of my other health issues (MS, sleep apnea) and/or the mental health issues (PTSD and related anxiety/panic attacks, A.D.D).

All of them together or alone could cause cognitive dysfunction.

Best wishes.
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

cognitive issues in ms are so hard to explain because they can be due to actual cognitive deficits or could be due to fatigue or depression. i don't think you'll ever get a precise answer on this b/c i personally have done a lot of research in this area as a caregiver and scientist and there is no way to differentiate yet. it is true that a therapist could become sensitized to your issues and feel they could be the root cause, but whether the therapist expresses this or not, it could still be from ms or from depression/fatigue.

if you meet another neuropsychologist, you could just let them lead the conversation and not divulge too much about your depression until afterwards. my partner was very high functioning prior to diagnosis. she did very well in school and participated in scholarly work. after several years of being diagnosed with ms, she began showing signs of forgetting her way driving or not remembering her phone number. of course, she was depressed, who wouldn't be? but, i think her symptoms are all tied to disease activity. sounds like you believe this to be the same in your case since cognitive issues arose before your depression needed treatment.

since recognizing her new areas of weakness, she plays more games (stuff like lumosity, which she never did before), takes online extracurricular classes, and has joined a book club. good luck with testing. we requested a complete copy of my partner's final evaluation of all tests both to review ourselves and have on hand for other clinicians.
      Caregiver. Partner underwent HSCT (Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation) for RRMS at Northwestern University Feinberg SOM - off all DMDs, reversed much of her physical disability. Check out my profile for more info!

Comment

Working...
      X