Confused!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Confused!!!!!

Hi Everyone! I have been working really hard to keep a positive and upbeat attitude. I take one day at a time and focus on the many reasons to be grateful. But, this week has been really challenging. I won't bore you with all of the details. But something happened today that felt like a sucker punch.

I met with my psychiatrist today. I was simply sharing my concerns about a few symptoms and the bittersweet decision to retire recently. She firmly responded, 'You are NOT helpless. You are in control and empowered. You can do whatever you want to do."

I asked her what I said that prompted her to respond that way. I am fully aware that I am not helpless. I am independent, take care of myself and manage my personal affairs. Yes, I can do many things that I have done in the past...but it is at a different pace.

When I challenged her response she struggled with explaining herself. I reminded her of my reason for retirement...fatigue, cognitive issues, incontinence and my job was very stressful.

I don't know if I was being overly sensitive today or what. But, her comment bothered me and I told her that. I don't know if she was trying to motivate me but it didn't work. I hate that I allowed her to negatively impact my afternoon. Argh!!!!

I feel better now that I have shared this with you. I have one more thing to share with you in a separate post and then I will get my "happy, happy Joy, Joy" spirit back.

Well, you can't do whatever you want, or you'd still be working.
    It is exhausting trying to be super positive all the time. We're allowed a little bit of grief now and then.
    Sometimes you just have to look facts in the face, just for a little while, then you dust yourself off and start again.

Comment

Hi Evolvn,

She probably has some chestnuts that she wheels out when someone's life gets scaled down, and ignores the context. I didn't want to break into your other thread, but I wanted to know if you were familiar with this blog, I enjoy reading it. The woman is my age and was a nurse. http://www.mynewnormals.com/about/

Comment

Thank you Dyin Myelin. I will check out that blog. By the way, no problem going into my other threads. Any input, help or guidance is very much appreciated!

Good point Thinkimjob!

Comment

Dyin_Myelin. I want to thank you again for that link. I have really enjoyed reading it! Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
          X