JUST ME? LOW BODY TEMP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JUST ME? LOW BODY TEMP

It's funny, when you look back, of all the MS symptoms you had before you ever knew about and were diagnosed with the disease. Growing up, whenever I ran a temperature of 99 degrees, I considered that a fever. I would feel just awful.

In the MS Society Spring issue magazine, they said people with MS run a considerably lower temperature than our healthy counterparts. They stated the average temp is 96. Ah ha...now it all makes sense, when you look back. But, I also experience brief episodes of very low body temperature, one time actually 94.7. Yikes

I can always feel it coming on, because I just shake, shivers, and no matter how bundled up I am, I'm freezing. I try to drink some hot water or tea, and wrap myself in blankets until it passes. Last night it happened just as I was about to go to sleep. I had a nightgown on, socks, my fleece robe, sheet over me, as well as a comforter and a blanket, and it took about 30 mins to go away. Then I get warm. I read online that people with MS, are more prone to hypothermia due to lesions in our brain. Does anyone else experience this?

** Moderator's note - Post broken into paragraphs for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print. **

HI! Yeah it sure sounds familiar. I am usually around 97.1 to 97.8. If I see a 98.6 I am usually either sick or getting something. The worst part though is I over heat really easy, so I go from shivering to weak and sweating. I tell everyone I have Male menopause and at least most of the women get what I mean. I go through all the stuff you said and then all of a sudden I overheat. Thats why its called the MonSter but I sure do understand what you are saying.

PEACE

Tortis

Comment

I'm in limbo, but I do the same thing. It can be very sudden as well. I've seen as low as 94.5, and my regular temp is 96ish. Used to be 98.

I also have one side that goes physically cold as well ... nothing can warm it up other than a hot bath ... which is bad for other reasons.

All the other tests involving temp have come back fine ... thyroid, vascular studies ... so we'll see.

Yours is the first post I've seen suggesting that those with ms have a lower body temperature. Interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreams008 View Post
        In the MS Society Spring issue magazine, they said people with MS run a considerably lower temperature than our healthy counterparts. They stated the average temp is 96.
        Could you put up the link to this article?
        Diagnosed 1984
        “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Hi Dreams008,

It's definitely not just you. I have a low body temperature, too.

SNOOPY,

I think the article being referred to is this one http://www.momentummagazineonline.com/beating-heat/

"Frohman says people with MS may be particularly affected by heat because they tend to have resting body temperatures that are lower than the usual 98.6 degrees. “In our patient population of over 5,000, we’ve discovered that the average temperature is 96.9 to 97.5 degrees, so someone presenting at 99 degrees could actually have a fever,” she says. A 2010 paper published in the Journal of Applied Physiology reported that this may be because MS affects areas of the brain and nervous system that regulate core body temperature."
          Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Thank you, Kimba22.

I have always, even as a kid, had a low body temperature. Normal for me can range anywhere from 92.2 to 96.
            Diagnosed 1984
            “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

My norm is 97.3. Always has been.
              Portia

Comment

My temp is around normal but i always have had low blood pressure.

Comment

This subject has been brought up before and thought you'd like to see just how many people weighed in regarding low body temperatures! http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthr...dy+temperature
                  1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                  Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Working...
                  X