Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Employment and Caregiving

Hi everyone,

I hope it is ok I post here versus the much smaller caregiver forum. I'm hoping that I can receive more insight from a broader audience.

I'm 36, a scientist by training, and the primary caregiver to my partner of 14 years. Her MS has been very aggressive at times and has impacted some of her ability to be fully independent although she is generally doing very well. When she relapses though, it can be severe. Two years ago she started relapsing back-to-back for 6 months with no end in sight. She went from walking to tripping/falling to walker to wheelchair to fully rigid unmovable legs within a few weeks. Luckily, we were able to get her accepted into the HSCT work being done by Dr. Burt at Northwestern. (I worked for months tirelessly advocating for her in the many hospitals she was at and then finally got so frustrated with her being undertreated that I took to ClinicalTrials.gov to find an answer - in this case Dr. Burt.) She received chemo to destroy the majority of her immune system and then her own stem cells to regenerate her immune system. She recovered, went into full remission, went off of all of her DMDs, and regained the ability to walk with no more leg spasticity. It was like a miracle.

Meanwhile, while we were very fortunate to have the entire procedure and all of her care covered by insurance, I exhausted all my savings paying all of our expenses for over a year without an income. Once she no longer needed 24/7 supervision, I started looking for a job again. It's been nearly a year and I've had few bites. I've tried my field, temp work, contract positions, everything with no luck. In my last interview, I was asked about how scattered my resume was. I am a scientist by training, but moved with my partner for her career because I knew that her employment might be more limited, which it was (disability 2008). So, I took jobs based on where we were, sometimes little science industry/options. And later when she was in insurance limbo, I worked as a manager at a local college that offered same-sex partner health benefits, a hard thing to find.

Now after all these years, I feel I have jeopardized my career a bit by trying to balance work and home. I wouldn't trade what I did, because I love my partner and want the best for her. I just feel a bit frustrated. This is not the first time people seem confused about my work history (lab science, science advocacy, higher ed management, and some additional coursework in engineering sciences). I feel I have amazing skills at research, project management, outreach, communications, etc., but people seem stuck on the trajecory no matter how I restructure my resume. Any advice? Any other people out there struggling with work options? What did you do? Any networking options? I wish I could just get a job from someone in a network of mine who can see me as more than just a sheet of paper...I've been working this hard, but no luck yet. I have so much energy and passion to put into a job, but I'm just spinning my wheels and struggling to support my household.

Thanks!
    Caregiver. Partner underwent HSCT (Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation) for RRMS at Northwestern University Feinberg SOM - off all DMDs, reversed much of her physical disability. Check out my profile for more info!

Hi Nes,

First, I just wanted t to say your partner has been very fortunate. It sounds like you take wonderful care of her. I hope she continues to do well.

As for the job, I am probably not much help since I worked in same industry/job functions most of my career. My networking was predominantly thru bosses and coworkers Here are some thoughts: linkedin( not only people, see if your alma mater or professional organizations have accounts), reach out to former coworkers, alma mater, join professional orgs, see if any volunteer opps at a place you want to work for or research areas you are interested in.

Not too original but all I can think of. Hope you have good luck.
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Where does the money for MS research go?

Follow the money?

Discuss.

Comment

I would start with any of your previous employers where you left on good terms. My company hires back 'prodigal sons' all the time...
        1st sx 11/26/09; Copaxone from 12/1/11 to 7/13/18
        NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

I was also thinking about widening the net. Since your girlfriend's career isn't a consideration at this point you could likely move to wherever you are able to find a promising job offer.

I'm not sure if you are disclosing the reason for job hoping but, although it sounds noble to those of us here, I'd worry prospective employers might hesitate with concerns this will happen again.

Perhaps it would be helpful to have a plan in place for home health care for your girlfriend if/when she relapses again? If you are able to present this to your prospective employer maybe it will make a difference.

Best of luck to you!
          He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
          Anonymous

Comment

Thanks to everyone who has replied so far. I really appreciate it. I have tried some of the suggestions here already like networking through LinkedIn, my alma mater, etc. Unfortunately, nothing has come through yet. Normally, I wouldn't bring up my home experience, but I applied for some patient advocacy positions, where I thought it would highlight my passion. I never mentioned it was my partner though, just a family member I supported as I could in conjunction with my family. I feel bad being vague, but didn't want the experience to negatively affect my application.

I would love to work for a MS organization and applied to a bunch, but I'm not sure if it was that I am not local, I never heard anything. Made me a bit sad since I have so much science and management experience, not to mention years of volunteer work for the NMSS (advocacy, assisting in walks, organizing a family walk team to raise money, etc.). I have never gone through such a long period of job hunting, so I've become a bit depressed. Oh well, I'm just going to keep at it and hope something eventually comes through. Thanks again.
            Caregiver. Partner underwent HSCT (Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation) for RRMS at Northwestern University Feinberg SOM - off all DMDs, reversed much of her physical disability. Check out my profile for more info!

Comment

Working...
            X