How many just have walking problems?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many just have walking problems?

From what I have read a lot of people have vision and sensory problems in the beginning. Are there people out there who just have difficulty with motor function and walking right from the beginning? I have only had two attacks in the last eight years and both involved my walking (weakness and spasticity). Wondering if this is unusual?

Hi Jennagain,

Wondering if this is unusual?
    Nothing is unusual if you have MS. Each person will experience this disease differently.

In the beginning I dealt with mobility (gait) problems, and still do, although mobility was not my only symptom.

Mobility (gait) problems, for me, go back to childhood.

I never had vision problems related to MS until this year, almost 30 years after diagnosis
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

I wish I could say walking was my only problem. I. An say it the only problem that sticks its head out for all to see. All have sensory issues, feet burning or feeling like the have soaking I. The Bering Sea. Speech issues when it happens at work can some time be hard to laugh off.

You may also have some of these other issues but your walking problems have become so predominate that you don't even notice the other issues.
      Dx'd 4/1/11. First symptoms in 2001. Avonex 4/11, Copaxone 5/12, Tecfidera 4/13 Gilenya 4/14-10/14 Currently on no DMT's, Started Aubagio 9/21/15. Back on Avonex 10/15

It's hard to beat a person that never gives up.
      Babe Ruth

Comment

This is timely. I was going to ask who had all the other symptoms other than walking problems. I'm still going pretty much normally, but I have all the other weird stuff going on.

Sometimes it's hard to get people to take your MS seriously if they see you are walking upright without any trouble ( at least for the most part ).
        Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

Hi Jennagain,

My main symptoms from the Fall 2013, have been leg spasticity and fatigue, which can lead to weakness too.

I had a very bad relapse in Jan this year that caused weakness to the point of feeling like I was going to pass out and had problems with walking; Legs got very stiff and painful. Thankfully after IV steroid treatment my walking improved again, but I always have tight legs (spasticity), which is a common symptom for many people with MS.

Now I take baclofen at night and this helps relax my leg muscles for walking the next day. The spasticity is due to impaired nerve transmission.
          Nikki

Comment

Jennagain,

Your description of your experience sounds very typical. My first symptom was weakness in my right leg and balance. Prior to that I discovered my bladder was no longer functioning but they never referred me to a neuro to get checked out and I was afraid to bring up the subject for fear I might get the dreaded news. I've also had problems with tremors.

Consider yourself normal in the MS world.

Comment

that is exactly how I started out! Like Snoopy told you, when you have MS nothing is odd. I did not develop any other symptoms for a good 15 years. I wish I could say now that that is the only problem I have ever had. I have never had any issues with vision (I am knocking on wood) but I do have sensory issues. I tend to lose sensation most days in my fingers which makes life extremely difficult at best.
              hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
              volunteer
              MS World
              hunterd@msworld.org
              PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Working...
              X