How many DMTs have YOU tried?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many DMTs have YOU tried?

In 10 years I have tried Avonex, Tecfidera, and gone without anything at all.

What has been your DMT path? Any veterans out there who have used the same treatment throughout? Just curious...
    Tawanda

I started out with Avonex, then Copaxone, Rebif, Gilenya (was in the clinical trial), then Tysabri.

I either had bad side effects or allergic and had to discontinue taking them.

I'm almost 2 weeks in on Tecfidera. So far so good with this one, so I'm very excited!

This spans over an almost 14 year period, so I have gone for extended periods of time not taking anything.

Comment

Hi Tawanda! Veteran here, 11 years on Avonex.

Comment

I went from Avonex to Rebif to Tysabri over 9 years. 1.5 years on Avonex, 5.5 on Rebif, and now 2 on Tysabri.
        Kathy
        DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

I'm Tysabri all the way. I hate MS and wanted to get on the strongest defense possible. I started Avonex because that was the only option available at the time and had an exacerbation a month later that caused irreversible damage. Completely useless for me. There will be those who strongly disagree but I'm really opinionated about this. For those who want to "let their MS do what it's going to do" and end up in wheelchairs, the other options are fine. For those who want to fight MS tooth and nail, Tysabri is the way to go.

Comment

2 DMTs for Me

I was on Rebif from the time of diagnosis until 7 years later when my liver function numbers showed a consistent rise. I then switched to Tecfidera and have been on that for about 1.5 years. The MRI I had last week showed no new lesions of any size. My neurologist said the drug is clearly a resounding success for me. I should add that since I have been off Rebif my liver function numbers steadily decreased and are now completely normal.

Comment

2005-2007 Rebif, 2007-present Copaxone.
              RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
              "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

First, Denial.
                Then, Avonex. (4 years)
                Then, Tysabri (+6 years)
                Now, Gilenya (as long as it works)
                Next, whatever's left

Never give up

Comment

Just shy of 10 years on Copaxone, no other DMDs...yet.
                  He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
                  Anonymous

Comment

Only 3+ years but many different drugs

Will be 52 in December. Diagosed June 2011 after left foot drop and falling alot. Given Prednizone in hospital. Many legions in spine and brain were found in first mri so I was immediately started on Tysabri but had a bad relapse, then Rebif, Gilenya and back to Tysabri since my anti-body had cleared. Had another bad relapse on Tysabri so no more infusions.

My relapes have incuded problems with walking without a walker, could not do math, spell or verbally communitate well and was afraid to drive due to close calls. Between relapes I could walk with a cane, do my job and drive with no issues. Right now, I wish I was not cut off of Prednizone. I swear that was not only thing that keeped me walking and working for the last 3 years. Doc disagrees and is more worried about long-term affects of the drug. Good doc and neuro unit at local hospital so I will trust them.

Have been on nothing since July 2014 to get me ready to start Chemo in November. I will update after it starts.

Good luck to all

Comment

4th DMT

Copaxone from 2000/01 to 2004/5. Stopped cop to begin Tysabri, which was taken off the market the same month I was scheduled for my first Ty infusion.

Rebif in 2006/7 for a few months. (I lost confidence in the first generation of DMDs as effective therapy for ME. According to MS doc, MRIs 'stable' because DMTs were such effective treatment <insert sarcasm>, but MRIs were 'stable' for many years when I was DMT free, including pre dx 'limbo' years. My theory is my MRIs have been stable for decades because the inflammatory course of the disease ended, but MS progression continues regardless of stable MRIs or DMT status.

Tysabri in 2011 for +2yrs, the only med that I experienced improvement in 2 of my 3 worst sx's. I also experienced new serious mobility problems. I experienced first MRI progression due to MS rebound effect when I stopped TY late in 1st year or early in 2nd year of therapy.

Aubagio for 3 months now. It's probably premature to evaluate either way, it's very early into treatment.

Best of luck to all of us.

Comment

4 drugs. TY has been a Godsend. Had it not worked, I too would have been put on Chemo.

TY actually made me better, but Copaxone was the easiest. I would still be taking it today if I could.

Next drug looks like Rituxan.
                        Katie
                        "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
                        "My MS is a Journey for One."
                        Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Avonex one year, more and active lesions.
                          Rebif one year, stopped because I had itching and a psoriasis patch that wouldn't clear up.
                          Tysabri one year, had more lesions, I had developed neutralizing antibodies.
                          Copaxone since April of 2009.

Probably won't change unless I quit DMTs all together. MRIs haven't changed much, but I've lost quite a bit of balance, and slowed down tremendously!
                          Brenda
                          Adversity gives you two choices in life: either let it make you bitter, or let it make you better! I choose the latter.

Comment

Betterme quote

[QUOTE=betterme;1462537]Will be 52 in December. Diagosed June 2011 after left foot drop and falling alot. Given Prednizone in hospital. Many legions in spine and brain were found in first mri so I was immediately started on Tysabri but had a bad relapse, then Rebif, Gilenya and back to Tysabri since my anti-body had cleared. Had another bad relapse on Tysabri so no more infusions.

My relapes have incuded problems with walking without a walker, could not do math, spell or verbally communitate well and was afraid to drive due to close calls. Between relapes I could walk with a cane, do my job and drive with no issues. Right now, I wish I was not cut off of Prednizone. I swear that was not only thing that keeped me walking and working for the last 3 years. Doc disagrees and is more worried about long-term affects of the drug. Good doc and neuro unit at local hospital so I will trust them.

Your doctors are right about the long term use of prednisone. I developed stubborn asthma in 1999 and started off the 21st century propelled by steroids. It wasn't until 2005 that I was finally able get by without it.

Then, in 2010, with the MS diagnosis, they put me on a gram of Solumedrol IV for about 6 months. After that my body had had enough of steroids. My toenails curled up and became ingrown, my face gets beet red if I take any, I can't sleep, I have osteoporosis and the most annoying damage is all the bruising. If I bump my arm even lightly, it breaks the skin, bleeds and I endure two weeks of a giant bruise. Last summer I had a stroke and they put me on Plavix and aspirin. Now, I wake up with giant red blotches all over my body. So, prednisone seems like a wonder drug for MS but it's not worth it.

It sounds like you've had a rough ride if TY didn't work. I hope the chemo is a success.

Comment

Rituxan also causes/ creates a higher risk of PML. I've been Dr Googling.

I would take arsenic if there was a guarantee this MS would go away. I'd cut my own leg off with a blunt pair of scissors.

But there's not, so I may have to take arsenic anyway. No, not suicidal, just bloody frustrated after 18 years.

I've read the Lemstrada / Campath stuff in detail, and it's not much better than Tysabri, which is ooh a few percentage points better that Tecidefera, which is quite a few points better than Aubagio, which is not much better than Copaxone, but ooohh, no needle, like I care after all these years.

The whole bounce-back post Tysabri thing scares me to death.
                              Any hoo. Still working. Only person out of seven at work, public holiday, no-one else could be bothered to turn up. Just call me Joan, of Arc.

Comment

Working...
                              X