Ankle Surgery and Knee Scooter question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ankle Surgery and Knee Scooter question

I'm having ankle surgery next week and the surgeon suggested that I use a knee scooter during recovery instead of crutches. It's a good call - I can't use crutches because of balance problems.

However, my problem is that the damaged ankle is on my strong right side. With using the knee scooter, I will have to rely pushing off on my left leg which is terribly weak along with foot drop. I wonder if anyone here has used the scooter before and wondering how easy or difficult the maneuverability is.

Any suggestions or alternatives? I have a walker, but need to keep my foot up and not put weight on it. I'm not looking forward to this, but it's a necessity.
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
    Any suggestions or alternatives? I have a walker, but need to keep my foot up and not put weight on it.
    You can use a regular walker with no wheels.

You stand inside the walker, both hands gripping each side of the walker and one foot held off the ground. Moving the walker just a little bit away (not much) from you, you use your arms to scoot your body forward, and repeat.

It can be very slow going and tiring.

I used this process for transferring after have ankle surgery. Otherwise I used a wheelchair to get around.

Good luck on your surgery!
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

The knee scooter sound a bit dangerous if your weak leg is doing all of the pushing and balancing. Just get a script for a regular scooter. Not only will it help you have now, but in the future when you need to get around far away (shopping, grocery, etc.) You may already have one and that would be wonderful, if not get a script and have your insurance pay for it.

Good luck with the surgery. It must be hurting hurting now for you to go to surgery. Let us know how it goes. I will be thinking about you.

Take care
      Lisa
      Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
      SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
      Tysabri

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions, Snoopy and Lisa ~ I think I'll use my wheelchair. I hadn't even thought of that! I do have a walker w/o wheels too, so I may use it to transfer.

I have a scooter that was given to me, but it's dirty, mildewy, with a dead battery. Sounds like to much work right now. I may just talk to my ins. people about a scooter to rent, but I'll need to go back to the surgeon for a rx.

We'll see.....

Yes, Lisa I've been hurting for a long time now. Seems like my repeated falls have damaged the tendon and split it two parts. He's scrapping away some bone also. I'm hoping for a full recovery and less falls - like none!
        1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
        Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

no falls would be good! Lisa mentioned it, get a rx from your dr for a scooter. or a wc would work too.
          hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
          volunteer
          MS World
          hunterd@msworld.org
          PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

I recently broke my leg and have been relying on a wheelchair to get around. My strong leg is fine, but I decided against the knee scooter because I'm terrified of hurting my broken leg more.
            Aitch - Writer, historian, wondermom. First symptoms in my teens, DX'd in my twenties, disabled in my thirties. Still the luckiest girl in the world.

Comment

Working...
            X