I have a book in my head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a book in my head

I hope to write a book someday. I have about 12 chapters done already. I've been taking some writing workshops from a personal friend, who has written for publications her entire life and has also authored two books.

I plan to call my book "Stuff", and to write about my life, my faith and coping with a chronic illness.

Part of my forward may read like this:

I have a book in my head.
    I have a story to tell.
    It's about stuff.
    It's about life and faith and coping with a chronic illness.
    It's about family and friends.
    It's about community.
    It's about pain and loss.
    It's about blessings and hope.
    My book is about stuff.

I'll let you know if I ever get it finished.

~ Faith
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

I'd read it

I think that sounds great. I'd read such a book. I feel that having a chronic illness gives us a different and unique perspective on other people and on life. I get to see the good side of people a lot more now that I use a cane. Sounds funny, but it's true.

Comment

ooooh~~Can't wait to read this when it comes out! Are you going to put in something about MSWorld?

Good luck and happy writing!
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Yes; sure will. Have no idea how long it will take, Seasha. I'm not halfway done writing yet, and then there will be the editing and getting the book out, etc.

Will probably find a way to self-publish (I am a close personal friend to two authors who could give me advice), and maybe put it out on amazon as a kindle book too. I know one person who has done that.

PositiveMS -- I named my cane Ingrid. I haven't included her yet, in my writing, but I plan to.

~ Faith
        ~ Faith
        (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
        - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.

- Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

I think e books might be the way to go. Costs are minimal. No ink, no paper. You will need a proof reader - let me raise my hand.
          Journalist/sub-editor. I can spell, and I work for free.

Comment

Have thought about that. And I might, for a second book I'm considering down the road.

But, this book, I think I really want a real book.

Thanks for the proofreading offer. I have someone who will likely be my editor. And, I'll likely get unofficial editing advice from a few friends. But I can use all the input I can get. Is proofreading different than editing?

~ Faith
            ~ Faith
            (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
              Have thought about that. And I might, for a second book I'm considering down the road.

But, this book, I think I really want a real book.

Thanks for the proofreading offer. I have someone who will likely be my editor. And, I'll likely get unofficial editing advice from a few friends. But I can use all the input I can get. Is proofreading different than editing?

~ Faith
              It sounds like you have a good plan in place and an interesting plot. I like the idea that you plan to touch on your MS journey without making the book purely about MS.

May I recommend you read the book "The 4-hour workweek" by Timothy Ferriss. I would recommend it to anyone actually, I bought a copy myself and have read it cover to cover twice. It caused me to rethink a lot of things in my life and has lead to a lot of positive changes for me. The author has written some other books as well and has a blog and website. He has countless invaluable tips throughout the book, especially in regards to writing and marketing of books.

Happy writing!

Comment

Sounds excellent already! I would definitely read it based on your few sentences alone! Glad you have contacts to help you make it perfect!
                Jen
                RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
                "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

I actually have some possible future plans, too, for a novel, with the sane plot, with fictionalized characters. I'd probably do an eBook for this, because the local bookstores that might carry the first book wouldn't have a need for a repeat.

Lol--wouldn't have to do much work other than change a few pronouns.

~ Faith
                  ~ Faith
                  (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Sometime, seasha, I'd like to put some of my writings in the creative center, but when I tried once before, I couldn't get it to work. Maybe you could help me figure it out.

~faith
                    ~ Faith
                    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Hi Faith ~ The easiest way I found is to send your work through an email to creativecenter@msworld.org. In our Creative Center, there is an option to submit as online forum, (upper right corner) but I've never tried that.

I've only sent some of my photos. Hope you can get through! I know it takes a little bit of time before it is visible as someone reviews it first.
                      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Hey Mamabug,Sounds great put me down for a copy.I read all I can find, I really like books on how other people handel their MS.

Comment

Working...
                        X