Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS and B-12 Deficiency

Hello all!

So I am a 22 year old Graduate Student who was diagnosed with MS back in September 2011, at the age of 19. I had a rather large lesion on my pons as well as a smaller lesion on my pre-frontal cortex, with a moderate to severe B-12 deficiency and a negative LP. I have, thus far, no lesions on my spinal cord, which makes me question my MS diagnoses.

I was put of Rebif (interferon-beta) immediately following a five day hospital admission that included five days of IV steroids. I responded superbly to the IV steroids, and my lesions were not at all visible on my follow up MRI (not even scarring!)

Fast forward a year and some-odd months. In May 2013, my neurologist and I made the decision to stop my Rebif therapy to see if I had another flare-up (I was beginning to doubt my diagnosis as I had not had any problems whatsoever since being diagnosed).

Fast forward again to late August 2014. I began to feel extremely fatigued with tingling in my hands and feet, so I made a neurology appointment. They could not see me for two weeks. Once I was finally seen, my regular neurologist doubted I had a new lesion and believed that my B-12 was just low, but I insisted on an brain MRI as well as blood work, and the MRI yielded a new, rather large lesion on my medulla (in the brainstem, near where my first major lesion was).

My B-12 was indeed very low, and I am currently receiving IV steroids as well as weekly B-12 injections for a month, then one B-12 injection for a month for the next six months.

The reason for my post today was to inquire about my low B-12. I am beginning to question whether my lesions are a result from low B-12 and not MS, given the lack of issues since my diagnoses and the placement of my lesions. I have mentioned this to my neurologist, and she tells me that while they are indeed correlated, it is highly unlikely my lesions are being caused strictly from B-12 deficiency. Any thoughts? I hate to begin taking the Rebif again if it is unnecessary. I'd much rather take a B-12 supplement if that's what's causing my lesions.

Thank you in advance for all of your responses, and have a nice day!

** Moderator's note - Post broken into paragraphs for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print. **

Hi Tadams 92,

I have not heard of a vitamin B12 deficiency causing brain lesions, however, it can mimic similar symptoms of MS such as; fatigue, numbness, tingling and cognitive issues too.

Honestly, it sounds to me that the Rebif was really working for you over the past few years. That is great news! I take Rebif and have been on it for over 4 months now. So far, it has cut down on the frequency of my relapses.

Unfortunately, I can't give you an answer what to do, but I don't think it is the vitamin B12 deficiency causing the lesions.

Best wishes in your decision and keep us posted!
    Nikki

Comment

Hi tadams92 - I had never heard of B-12 deficiencies causing leisons in the brain until I read this article from LiveStrong which states: "According to a study in the February 2009 issue of the "Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery and Psychology," low B-12 levels are associated with increased severity of white matter lesions in the brain, an effect that may be related to decreased integrity of the myelin sheath."

Read more here: http://www.livestrong.com/article/49...brain-lesions/

Here are more articles:
      http://www.direct-ms.org/pdf/Nutriti...20and%20MS.pdf
      http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9860120
      http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3724087/

BUT, it is not uncommon to have MS and a B-12 deficiency. I hope the increase you gain through the injections helps abate your symptoms. If you don't trust your neuro, you can also get a 2nd opinion as many of us here have done.
      I have, thus far, no lesions on my spinal cord, which makes me question my MS diagnoses.
      It is very possible to have lesions on your brain and none on your spinal cord! Some have gone for years before spinal lesions show up.

I wish you wellness and much luck!
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

I have not had spinal lesions but definitely have MS and am on Rebif for past 2 years. I have not had a change i my MRI either so essentially my MS is stable although have been under so much stress that my symptoms have increased.

This disease stinks!

Comment

Working...
        X