Is this a normal MRI experience?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had my third MRI this morning. The first MRI was done to confirm my diagnosis of MS. The second MRI was to monitor my progress on Tecfidera. So here I am a year later with my third one.

The first 2 went fine. I did have a horrible experience with the contrast dye during my first MRI and after that my neuro ordered them without the contrast. But the first 2 actual MRI's themselves went fine...no problems whatsoever.

However, during this third MRI I noticed something strange. Within the first 5 minutes of the test, my forehead got really hot! I mean it felt like it was on fire. I first chalked it up to being a flushing side effect from the Tecfidera since I had just taken it this morning before going in for the MRI. Then again, I don't normally have issues with flushing from the medication and the very few times that I do I'm sweating. I mean REALLY sweating! I was not sweating the least during the MRI...just a very very hot feeling in my forehead.

I was actually a little cold below my head down to my feet. It was just my head that was hot. The technician said they had just gotten a new machine that was more powerful. So maybe that's why? It was definitely louder. Has anyone else had this issue while having an MRI? I just found this a little odd and was wondering if this is normal or not?

“Keep your face to the sun and you will never see the shadows.”
    ― Helen Keller

I had a spine MRI in June this year and became really, really hot in my chest area. It was like my fat was hot!!

Comment

I've had may MRI'S where everything was comfortable except last year I had one that was similar to what you are describing. During the last 45 minutes the bed became very hot and it seemed as if the fan was not circulating any air.

After putting up with this for about 30 minutes I squeezed the ball to notify the techs that something was very wrong. They didn't respond so I decided that I would begin to move to get their attention.They did pull me out but seemed angry with me. My mouth and eyes were so dry and I was very hot.

I reported this incident to patient services. Apparently something was wrong with the fan. I will never put up with this ever again. An MRI should be boring but not uncomfortable.

Comment

I got hot the last time I had an MRI. It was of both the brain and cervical cord, so took a bit longer.

This never hppened before, and have had multiple experiences with MRI's in the past. It was also the very first time I ever squeezed that ball! I was asked what was wrong, and when I told them, the tech told me to hang tight, because the scan was almost done. I just wanted it over with (hospitalized at the time), so endured what seemed like an eternity (it was probably only another 10 minutes) before I was pulled out. Never again. If I had any anxiety issues I would have freaked out.

Once pulled out, I complained again, and told him that had NEVER happened before. He casually responded that it happens because our bodies are mostly water, so can heat up with the MRI. (All the more reason he should've pulled me out then!) I told him he still should've pulled me out when I squeezed the ball. He didn't answer. Jerk. (They were very busy and I know he was just trying to keep his schedule.)

Won't be so compliant if I ever feel the need to squeeze that ball again. Lying on that hard table was hard enough, pulling me out for a few minuted so I could've cooled off was NOT too much to ask.
        Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

I have found that there is nothing "normal" when you have MS. Sorry to not be any help.
          hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
          volunteer
          MS World
          hunterd@msworld.org
          PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. Apparently this is not that uncommon. I just found it a bit odd since my other two MRI's went perfectly fine. This was also the first time that I could barely sit up once it was over. My back was so sore it did not want to bend. The tech actually had to help me up. *embarrassed*

I almost squeezed the ball while I was in there because my forehead was pretty hot and it just didn't feel right, but I did not want to seem like a wimp who couldn't handle a simple MRI procedure. Also I knew it would take no more than 20 minutes tops so I stuck it out. Luckily, mine are only 15-20 minutes long.

“Keep your face to the sun and you will never see the shadows.”
            ― Helen Keller

Comment

Working...
            X