Extended traveling with medication?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extended traveling with medication?

Hello! I'm very new here so I hope this is the right place to post this question! I recently moved to a new area and am still in the process of finding a neuro so I don't really have anyone to ask this question to.

I'm 23, and I was just diagnosed with MS in May. I started taking Avonex (the pen) shortly after, and I've been really happy with it, and I haven't had any more symptoms.

I've traveled out-of-state since the diagnosis, but that was only a short flight and trip. Since Avonex needs to be refrigerated, I have to take it in these bulky bags with ice packs which isn't really ideal for long-term traveling. My family is planning a trip to Australia/New Zealand next summer to visit relatives, and just for a nice vacation since we don't live near each other, and I'll be graduating next year so it would also be a gift to me. We would probably be gone for a couple months at least. I was really excited, but now I'm not sure if this is possible for me. The flight alone is around 13 hours (we'd be flying out of LAX), and the ice packs in the Avonex travel kit only last 10 supposedly.

So I'm just wondering if anyone here has experience traveling long-term with MS? Or if it's even possible? I was also thinking of switching medications to the pill form, but my last neuro strongly recommended the injections, and I've heard those side effects are pretty bad while I barely have any from Avonex.

I don't think it is a good idea to just keep it in a swall cooler, especially if your cooling bricks only last 10 hours, which by the way is pretty good.

There are other ones that last longer out of the refrigerator. You may want to get a Neuro ASAP and talk with them.

Here is the article I read: http://www.avonex.com/pdfs/guides/Li...dix_I61023.pdf

Good luck and do not just hope that it will be cool enough, those shots can make you feel horrible. I was on Rebif one time, left a few out for way longer then the medication instructions. Oh boy were they right!

Good luck to you, let us know how it goes, OK?

Lisa
    Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
    SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
    Tysabri

Comment

Using two packs side by side will make them last longer.
      Bill
      Scuba, true meaning of Life! USS Wilkes Barre 91, USS Monitor 96, 97, 99 .. Andrea Doria 96, 98 .. San Francisco Maru 09

Comment

When I was on Rebif I did some extended traveling. It has(or had) a 1 month shelf life at room temperature so I just always tried to make sure it never got too warm.

If Avonex can't be at room temp just always make sure you have a fridge or ice pack handy - which should be no problem since you'll be with family.

Yay! Have fun!
        Aitch - Writer, historian, wondermom. First symptoms in my teens, DX'd in my twenties, disabled in my thirties. Still the luckiest girl in the world.

Comment

Working...
        X