The Uneducated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Uneducated

I went out for a bike ride today with my dog. I normally don't cross the road because it is hard to walk my three wheel bike and my dog across the crosswalk, but today I had to because there were maintenance men crossing the path on my side. I crossed at a cross walk and hit the button to warn traffic I was crossing and proceeded to cross the road. I was yelled at by a young girl out her window "It's the law that you walk your bike you jerk!" I felt like writing a letter in the city newspaper but I don't want to waste any of my energy on uneducated people. Does she think I am riding a three wheel bike because they are the coolest new trend?

Did she take the time to think about the fact that I am a woman with MS who is suffering with major pain right now and is still making it a priority to take out my dog for a walk and to get some exercise? Of course not; she is young and still thinks nothing bad happens to people. I used to be like that too until I was diagnosed at age 25. Made me proud of myself that I didn't write that letter.

I hope she never has to face living with a chronic illness.

With love,
    Krystine
    Diagnosed 2000 RRMS. Copaxone 2000 - 2010 Rebif 2010 - 2013 Copaxone 2013 - 2014 Tecfidera October 2014
    "You can't appreciate the good days without the bad ones."

Ya know. If she saw you on a 2-wheeled bike, her reaction (if she'd been nicer) could've been appropriate.

But, a 3 wheeled bike? Shoulda been obvious to her that there was a disability involved. You shouldn't have to wear a sign around your neck that says "chronic illness".

~ Faith
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

She didn't know you have MS.

She's still a Jesse Pinkman (Breaking Bad ) ***.

Comment

your story made me chuckle, not that it was funny, it was because I am in a wheelchair 24/7, and I was in the supermarket one day and someone said something about me not going fast enough.I had not run into anything yet nor did I want to I did not realize that I should have had a shirt on apologizing for any inconveniences I was causing (I am saying this rather sarcastically).
        hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
        volunteer
        MS World
        hunterd@msworld.org
        PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

She was just nasty but I have to say I see people riding those three wheel bikes on occasion and haven't ever thought it was because they had a disability.

Like with recumbent bikes I just thought maybe their balance wasn't great, it was more comfortable etc.
          He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
          Anonymous

Comment

She was a first class jerk. I hate those transient situations where there is no time to respond. One situation I have trouble with is the checkout line in supermarkets. I am buying all my food for the week and 12 rolls of toilet paper and I have to have it bagged so I'm not walking all over the place when I'm unpacking the groceries at home. I also need help with the payment and carrying the groceries to my car. Invariably, there are 4 people behind me with one item to buy. They are impatiently stomping their feet and shaking their head in disgust.

What can I say? Obviously they don't know I have MS and they think I am an OCD, selfish pig who just likes to make people wait. I smile and apologize and they snicker.

Comment

Originally posted by palmtree View Post
              Invariably, there are 4 people behind me with one item to buy. They are impatiently stomping their feet and shaking their head in disgust.

I smile and apologize
              So long as you're not in the express/15 items or less lane, you have nothing to apologize for. It's their own misfortune to pick your lane thinking they'll get through quicker.

Krystine, like someone said before, that girl didn't know you have ms. She would've said that to anyone.

Comment

Very sorry that happened to you. People can be real pigs.

On a different note, what kind of three wheeled bike do you have? I think I might want to get one. Is yours recumbent or upright?

Comment

Thanks for all the comments. I just was assuming she would know something was up seeing as i was on a three wheel bike or that she would look around and see there was a blockage in front of me. Good points though. She may totally not have known.

I guess I just would like it if people would open their mind more and look around. What I also do realize is that that was her issue, not mine. I don't have to take on other people's "stuff." I feel like the way she reacted was not warranted given the circumstance.
                  Diagnosed 2000 RRMS. Copaxone 2000 - 2010 Rebif 2010 - 2013 Copaxone 2013 - 2014 Tecfidera October 2014
                  "You can't appreciate the good days without the bad ones."

Comment

I hope she never has to face living with a chronic illness.
                    Hmmm...I can think of a few people I'd like to experience MS for just a week. Am I evil?
                    PPMS
                    Dx 07/13

Comment

I usually wear a MS T Shirt when I'm out in the hopes that people will actually "see" the disability and be a little more understanding.

They say it pays to advertise so maybe I'm inspiring some people to donate to our cause. But at least they are aware that I am struggling.

I get a lot of nice people asking me about MS and I'd like to think I educate them a little.
                      Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

Originally posted by marti View Post
                        I usually wear a MS T Shirt when I'm out in the hopes that people will actually "see" the disability and be a little more understanding.

They say it pays to advertise so maybe I'm inspiring some people to donate to our cause. But at least they are aware that I am struggling.

I get a lot of nice people asking me about MS and I'd like to think I educate them a little.
                        What a great idea, thank you for helping to spread the word.
                        He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
                        Anonymous

Comment

I agree that she sounds like one of those people who can't imagine a world outside her little window. She's probably an equal opportunity offender, too :-)

I applaud you for getting out with your dog though — I used to walk along the river at a local greenway with my dogs and just loved it. Maybe I should try it with my new dog and my scooter...I wouldn't be as polite as you were though if I encountered someone as rude lol

Comment

Working...
                          X