Seasonal allergies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seasonal allergies

I had seasonal allergies most of my life but they seemed to disappear when my MS started getting worse and flaring more frequently <before MS meds>.

Seems like my seasonal allergies have returned after being on MS meds now for 1 year. I am now back to the sneezing, dripping allergy symptoms.

I have been on Tecfidera since last Dec and was on Copaxone for 5 months prior.

It's definitely a better trade off if it's from the meds maybe swinging my immune system the other direction. If that is actually the case.

I haven't had a flare since July 2013. In a prior post, I thought I was having a flare - had call my neuro and they put me on a pred taper. After seeing the MRIs he found no new activity! Yay! He thinks it was just a pinched nerve and so did the chiropractor.

Anyone else experience an increase or return of seasonal allergy symptoms after starting on MS meds?

I don't know if there is a connection between immunosuppressive drugs and reduction of seasonal allergies.
    My allergic problems seemed to go into remission after I was dx, probably because of the heavy inundation of Solumedrol they gave me. I started Tysabri shortly after and haven't been able to use prednisone. For awhile, I was able to manage my asthma without prednisone, but lately, I can't breathe and am tempted to go back on it. It's fall now, which is a heavy allergy season.

Comment

I wonder whether there's a relationship between seasonal allergies and MS somehow?

Prior to all this rubbish that looks like MS starting I used to get severe seasonal allergies and I'd end up so sick that the best solution was a steroid injection.

Since I've started down the road of what looks to be MS I haven't had one single seasonal allergy. As horrible as the allergies were, I'd rather them any day than what I'm now going through

Comment

Originally posted by Poppy7402 View Post
        I wonder whether there's a relationship between seasonal allergies and MS somehow?
        No.

There is no relationship to allergies and Multiple Sclerosis. Those of with MS can also deal with allergies just like anyone else that doesn't have MS.
        Diagnosed 1984
        “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Originally posted by SNOOPY View Post
          There is no relationship to allergies and Multiple Sclerosis. Those of with MS can also deal with allergies just like anyone else that doesn't have MS.
          I forgot to add a couple of links to my answer:

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/Wha...roved-theories

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/Liv...tion/Allergies
          Diagnosed 1984
          “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

I've always had mild airborne and seasonal allergies, but mine kicked into high gear at menopause — which happened to coincide with the worsening of my MS and starting Rituxan, which suppresses the immune system. So I don't know which came first, or what is affecting what!

I do know — and do not care what doctors say to the contrary — that when my body is trying to fight "invaders" otherwise known as tree pollen or ragweed, all of my MS feels worse. This makes sense to me, because my immune system is already busy eating my myelin and gets overtaxed with all of the additional patrolling

Comment

Working...
            X