Relapse questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Relapse questions

I am going to call the doctor today but thought maybe I could get some answers from you guys who have been thru this!
    DX in 2010, had a slight relapse in 2011 at medication switch from Avonex to copaxone. Went to doc on the 5th of sept for reg check up and mentioned that my left leg felt a bit weak, so he gave me thorough reflex tests and strength tests and said the leg was weak and asked me to go on steroid dose, so started last Tuesday on 80 ml for for days, 60 ml for 4 days, 40 for 4 and then 20 for 4. I have been a wreck, moody, crying, can't sleep, etc. common for steroids I think, I have never taken this much before so new to me, but the other thing is that has me concerned is the leg is getting weaker, not better. My question is then, is this normal? Does it typically calm down the symptoms when you are through with the steroids or does it get worse before getting better? First real relapse with something that could potentially change my situation, as I am beginning to feel like I cannot rely on that leg! Thank you very much

Hello mrsclancey and welcome to MSWorld.

the other thing is that has me concerned is the leg is getting weaker, not better. My question is then, is this normal? Does it typically calm down the symptoms when you are through with the steroids or does it get worse before getting better?
    Steroids are anti-inflammatory and might help in shortening an exacerbation (relapse, attack, flare-up). Steroids do not change the outcome of the disease nor do they necessarily "fix" all MS symptoms.

Unfortunately, steroids will not necessarily give you back the strength you had before the exacerbation. Working with a Physical Therapist (PT) and/or exercise can help regain, if possible, the strength lost during the exacerbation.

This process can take time and patience.
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

80 mg is a relatively low dose of steroids to treat a flare, I'm assuming you are taking it orally. The IV dose is normally 1,000 mg for 4 or 5 days, then sometimes an oral dose as you are taking to "taper off".

I don't live in the US but it seems like you can get in to see your neuro pretty quickly. It wouldn't hurt to contact him/her if you feel like it's not working.

Best of luck.
      Jen
      RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
      "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

IV steroids or Solu-Medrol is dosed different than oral meds with different names so 80mg was probably OK for the high dose to start the taper. The larger question is why no IVSM?

The other thing about steroids is that sometimes they take a couple of weeks to really start working, so give it some time. They make me feel worse for a few days after finishing them, and then a couple of weeks later, they help.

Perhaps you should call your neurologist and ask about the oral steroid use and its dose. Let him/her know you are not feeling better, but a little worse. See what they have to say. It is worth a call, and neurologists like to know about things like this.

Hope you feel better soon!
        Lisa
        Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
        SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
        Tysabri

Comment

When I was diagnosed they put me on a 5 day iv solumedrol. Didn't really help me with my symptoms. It gave me insomnia, gained weight, and the weeks after were absolutely horrible. But not everyone has the same outcomes.

Comment

My experience with steroids to calm a flare was good although it didn't quell the flare immediately. At the time, I was hospitalized with bad double vision and nystagmus. I was in bad shape.

The doctor put me on an IV of steroids - 1 bag (1 gram) a day for 3 days. It still took a few days after the last dose to have the flare calm down to where I could see. Although I didn't experience many side effects from the steroids at the time of receiving treatment, it did leave me a little weak and lethargic for weeks afterwards. Steroids are tough on your body but necessary for some flares.

The goal of the steroids is to potentially lessen the length of time and damage that flare is going to cause.

Comment

Working...
            X