Nordic walking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nordic walking

The last issue of Momentum published by the MS society has an article about Nordic Walking. It sounds interesting but I would love to hear what experiences other have had with it. Here is the link to the article:
    http://www.momentummagazineonline.com/nordic-walk-way/

Hi claudine! I just highlighted the same article in the Exercisers Group Check In last night ! http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthread.php?t=134392

I have trekking poles and absolutely love them! I find they offer more stability than using my cane, plus I can travel more distance and longer. If I lived in the city with pavement, I'd have to get rubber tips for the ends, but since I live in the country, it is no problem.

I don't use the method they talk about:
    "Nordic walkers begin by grasping a pole in each hand. Fingerless “gloves” secure hands to poles. As the walker takes a step, he or she grasps the pole on the opposite side of the body until it touches the ground, then releases the grip as the pole swings behind the body, explains ANWA founder Bernd Zimmermann."

I don't do this and just hold onto the poles the whole time. It is still very effective. Hope you think about trying some out
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

More questions

Thank you for sharing your experience. I gather you didn't take a class? I wonder if using them as you do, you get all the benefits they describe in the article. I live in a city so I would probably use them to walk on sidewalks which are not always even and that concerns me a bit.

Comment

No, I didn't take a class. I used to go hiking in the mountains and used them then. Fast forward about 8? years, and now having SPMS that has greatly affected my walking, who would have thought I'd be using them as an assistive devise!

What do you use now for walking the uneven sidewalks? A cane? Whatever you are going to use, I'm sure you know that uneven ground requires looking down to avoid tripping - or it certainly helps!

You might try a sporting goods store near you and ask to try them out first to see if you want to invest in them. If you get some, get the ones that are adjustable for your height. Maybe they are all like that now. It's been a long while since I got mine.

Good luck
        1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
        Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Hi Claudine,

I use Trekking Poles as mobility aids. I prefer the stability they offer. My balance sucks and if I am using the Trekking Poles I am able to easily adjust my balance with them.

I first learned about Trekking Poles as a mobility aid from someone else that has MS. I happened to be in Physical Therapy at that time and asked my PT what her opinion was. She thought it was an excellent choice for mobility aid.

When I bought the Trekking Poles I took them in to my PT appointment and she put them at the right height for me as well as showed me how to use them. It took a little practice to get the hang of it.

Some poles you twist for tightness and some have a locking mechanism. I opted for a locking mechanism as I was concerned that with use the twisting on the other kind would loosen.

My Trekking Poles are Black Diamond and I have Leki Brand rubber tips. I use them indoors and outdoors.

This is the rubber tips I have:
          http://www.rei.com/item/750119/leki-...king-tips-pair
          Diagnosed 1984
          “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Thank you

Thank you both for sharing your experience and you suggestions. I'll be seriously looking into it.

Comment

I am convinced trekking poles kept me walking at least one year longer than I would have been able to do without them. Unfortunately, weak hip flexors and knee issues ending my mile walks a year ago. However, I highly recommend them for anyone with MS

Comment

Nordic walking / trekking poles

So glad you brought this subject up ! I just finished reading the article in MS Magazine and was thinking how much easier it would be to walk with them.
                I will take the suggestion to go by sporting goods store and see if I can try them.

Comment

They are great, significantly help balance. I have Leki poles with spring suspension. The springs take a lot of the fatigue out of your arms. Don't use them enough though, have to get out more.
                  Bill
                  Scuba, true meaning of Life! USS Wilkes Barre 91, USS Monitor 96, 97, 99 .. Andrea Doria 96, 98 .. San Francisco Maru 09

Comment

Working...
                  X