MS and hormone treatments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS and hormone treatments

Question. I'm not even sure where this belongs. I recently had to be given progesterone for a non MS related issue. I'm supposed to take it for a month. I feel like some of my MS symptoms have become more aggravated during the last few days. My walking is not good, I'm really tired and I definitely feel a lot more cog fog.

I've heard that MS could be hormonal. Could the progesterone be causing these enhanced symptoms?

msesq, my early, pre MS dx, sx's always coincided within 7-10 days with my menstral cycle, including ON, cognitive disfunction, and chronic UTIs. I did not tolerate Birth Control meds at that time.

I was dx with Cateminal Epilepsy, aka hormone elipesy based on abnormal EEGs.

Years later I tested negative for being peri-menapusal based on sx's, but my misognist GYN at the time rx hormone supplements that drove sx's over the top.

I hope this helps and don't hesitate to post any additional questions you have.

Comment

I'm confused by this because I thought that MS symptoms go into a "remission" during pregnancy... and that studies have shown that women on birth control reduce their MS risk by 40%.

I am thinking of taking oral contraceptives just for this reason.

Comment

Jade Divine, BC wasn't as 'refined' during my reproductive years as BCs available today. Early BCs contained much higher hormone content than is necessary to simulate pregnancy. The higher than necessary hormone content in early BCs resulted in unpleasent and possibly unhealthy side effects for many women in general.

Also, Cateminal Epilepsy/CE, is attributed to monthly fluctuations in hormones versus the state of 'suspended' immune system during pregnancy, and simulated state of pregnancy in BC.

CE and my MS presentation is considered atypical, but the association with MS is documented and acknowledged by my past and current MS docs. It's not very well understood, a passive acknowledgment that's documented and atypical.

Suspended immunity during pregnancy would seem to be a major clue and has been understood for a relatively long time. However, until October 2014, there were no protocols in place that required female models be included in lab research studies.

A long, convoluted reply to say that neither CE nor suspended immunity during pregnancy associated with MS is very well understood or explained based on current research.

Best of luck using oral contraceptives to control your MS.

Comment

Working...
        X