Medicare supplemental insurance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Medicare supplemental insurance

Does anyone have medicare supplemental insurance to cover the 20% portion of costa that medicare does not cover?

I have tried to get information on acquiring supplemental insurance, but each website I go to, when I type in th required information, I see a notice that I am not eligible because I am not 62 (I am 53 and receive medicare because I receive SS disability). It is my understanding that if you receive medicare, you are supposed to be eligible to purchase a medicare supplement insurance (or gap insurance), regardless of age.

Anyone have any experience with this or ideas? Or even be able to tell me what ballpark figure a medicare supplemental policy would run?

Hi joey,
    I too did some searching for a supplemental policy once I started on medicare.

I called a local independent insurance agency in my town and spoke to one of the agents there. She told me that because of my age (56 at the time) and that I got medicare because of disability and not because of age, that my premium would be that of an 85 year old person! I was floored to say the least.

I don't know that this is the case though.

I would suggest contacting an insurance agent and see what they have to offer. I know a friend of mines husband got a policy I think through a State Farm agent that they could afford. I don't know that it's through State Farm or somewhere else.

It would be a good place to start. Or perhaps making some phone calls to reputable companies to see what they have to offer.

I ended up getting a Medicare Advantage policy through Humana which has been pretty good. With this type of a policy, you cannot get a supplement though.

I'm sure that our members will have lots of suggestions for you.

Good luck!

Comment

Yes I have medicare supplemental insurance to cover the 20% portion of the cost that medicare does not cover. And yes of course it is as expensive or more expensive as insuring 85+ year olds as they are often quite healthy and someone with MS is for obvious reasons not desirable to insure. I am on SSDI and under 60. I have not looked online since I got the the insurance 5 year ago so I cannot help you there, but I cannot imagine none are offered where you are.

Comment

Eligibility for Medigap insurance if you are under 65 varies by state. Even though Medicare is a Federal program, the states set their own rules for Medigap coverage.

I am 64, and in my state that allows me to buy coverage. However, my premium is pretty high. It is $250 per month for a high deductible ($2,500 per year) policy. The premium for a policy with $100 per year deductible was $750 per month.

That does not include prescription coverage, Medicare Part D.
        It is another $50 per month.

The insurer told me that the premium will drop significantly when I reach retirement age.

Comment

I asked an agent about Medigap insurance. He asked me my health and I told him I had MS. He said, FORGET IT! No company would touch it with a ten foot pole.

Comment

mutual of omaha

I have mutual of Omaha plan f covers 100% of what medicare doesn't cover. Love it!

Comment

How much do you pay for the Mutual of Omaha? How old do you have to be?

Comment

You need to go to Medicare's website an see which advantage plan you would like. I have the Humana Gold, it is an HMO. I do not pay any extra for it. My docs and hospitals were in it. Make sure you check out the drug formulary!! To see if your drugs are covered.
                I'm 53.
                I also get SilverSneakers (gym membership), dental, etc bennies included.

Now my MIL has UHC. It is a supplement plan, she can go to any Medicare doc, it cover the copays. Her premium is $200 plus a month. She also has a separate Part D plan.

Comment

Working...
                X