How much sun and heat can you tolerate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much sun and heat can you tolerate?

I can remember being a sun worshiper when I was younger. Now just a few moments outside in the summer can make a total change in the way I feel. I get exhausted, my heart rate goes up a little, sweat like crazy (something I stopped doing altogether just before I was dx in 2001). I suffered heat sickness one summer and never sweat again. But I could not tolerate any heat either. Strange.

Anyway, I was wondering just how much of this heat you can handle before you start feeling sick.
    Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

It's still winter down here. I loathe summer. Actually extremes of temperature either way have a bad, bad effect.

Winter, stiff and staggery like a robot.

Summer, completely limp and exhausted with a lot of dizziness.

Comment

the more the merrier! Most MS patients have difficulties with heat, I am not one of them. 85° is a good starting point (although I do like it cooler at night), I can even do some low levels of humidity. When it is 90° in the summer time (which has only happened a few times this year where I live), I can be outdoors for a few hours before retiring into the air-conditioning.
      hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
      volunteer
      MS World
      hunterd@msworld.org
      PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

I am just like Huntered! I can tolerate heat up to 85. It's when the humidity is high I can't as well. When I walk I always do it around 7:30p.m and always stay hydrated.

Diagnosed 6-28-14
        RRMS
        Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much. ~Helen Keller~

Comment

It's relative. We've only had 3 days (June) over 30 (Celsius), leaves are already changing colour and falling!! Most summers 30 is my absolute limit but in this cooler summer, 26/27 is the limit.
          Jen
          RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
          "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

I, like Hunterd can take up to about 85 and that is it for me too. Problem is I live in NC, so not only are most of our days above 95, the humidity is generally around 100%. So most of the summer I stay in, except when going to appointments and to get out I wear an evaporative cooling vest or a cooling neck scarf (not a fluffy one-a summer one). If I start feeling bad in the car I stop and get a cold drink which also works wonders.

It is hot here right up until October, and sometimes well into it, and starts getting hot-not warm, in and around the end of February. Its definitely the humidity that gets me the most.

Take care
            Lisa
            Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
            SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
            Tysabri

Comment

Thank you all. I'm just kind of bumfuzzled since I never used to sweat at all. I'd go thru whole summers without using deodorant and now I can smell myself. Not that it's such a tragedy, but it's different for me.

And I can barely go out the door without wilting. Of course, we are experiencing triple digits in the temperature department. But all in all the summer has not been too bad.
              Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

In general, I don't mind a reasonable amount of heat either...wonder why there are so many of us here for whom this is true when it seems like the rule is that heat is a problem for the vast majority?

So heat is OK for most of my body, but get my feet into the hot sun, and I get intense burning pain within seconds. My feet burn all the time, but get them under the hot sun, and I will knock you down getting into the shade, and if possible, spraying them with some cool water.
                PPMS
                Dx 07/13

Comment

Today, low humidity and 75! Wow.

I, just as another poster said 'was a sun worshipper'. I loved it when it was in the 80's.

Now it has to be near perfect or I just stay inside my controlled environment.

I have always enjoyed cool weather, crisp days and clear nights. Nothing like a nice warm sweater or jacket and a walk to breathe in the clear air. Here in NC that's pretty much a dream as summer here is awful and fall is too short. Spring is also short, though pretty. Winter is damp and though we don't get the snow and ice like in the northern climes it still leaves a lot to be desired.

I griped about weather even prior to my MS dx. However, I find hot weather intolerable. I just turn into a dishrag; want to find some ice and cool off.

Diane
                  You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one.

Comment

I used to camp, hike and backpack in all kinds of heat. I ran a waterfront at a Girl Scout camp, out in the sun on the dock all day, without even giving it a second thought. Ohhh. I miss those days in the sun.

Now I'm lucky if I can walk to the car and climb in before I melt in the heat!This heat intolerance is like a bad joke that never ends. Add high humidity and I'm like you, DianeD. I turn into a dishrag. Guess it's all one of the joys of where we live.

Comment

I know heat intolerance is prevalent in MS. However, I tolerate the heat better since getting MS, I think because I lost 50lbs of insulation.

Comment

You are definitely not alone it your heat intolerance. I think those of us who have been exposed to more heat are more sensitive. When summer doesn't end until the end of October and starts again in February it really grinds a person down.

You say you got overheated once and have been less heat tolerant since. That makes perfect sense it seems to coincide with everything that has been written about heat stroke. I've been overheated countless times so I can't stand a minute in the sun even if it's not real hot. Anything over 70 degrees is too hot.

Comment

I don't feel sick in heat but if it is really hot I will tire quicker. Never liked being in the sun in the middle of the day, but now I force myself to get some sun regularly as it gives me energy which vitamin D does not.

Comment

77-82 is my limit. I hate it cause I enjoy sunshine since Portland gets a few months of sunshine lol. But the humidity is horrible for me now

Comment

Moved from Minnesota in 1985 cause I was sick of the frigid winters.

Now I live in Phoenix, Have MS, am very heat sensitive and it's going to be 110 today.

Traded one set of cabin fever for another.

Comment

Working...
                              X