Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need a pair of glasses but I cannot adopt eyeglasses

Hello,

I have been diagnosed MS 14 years ago and using betaseron for 13 years. One of my first attacks was from my right eye and at first minute I lost 70% vision in my right eye, then it recovered upto 10% loss. Still my right eye is not as good as the left one but it is really hard to say that it has a persistent problem.

Anyhow, at the first years of my MS I also needed eyeglasses for far vision, got a prescription but they disturbed me so much that at the end I decided to live without glasses meaning low quality vision. But now I’m 42 years old. I need those glasses, again got a prescription and again same problems begin. For a better vision I need glasses but when I wear them although I see more clearly other problems begin. Plainly I explain it as “I’m not comfortable with glasses”. But this is not something physical they do not give pain to my nose or somewhere else, they only disturb my eyes. Really I cannot tell anything tangible to describe the situation.

The most reasonable description that I could find up to now: I have a minor diplopia especially in far distance. I thing without glasses I see things blurry so the diplopia does not disturb me but when I wear the glasses and things get clear my diplopia disturbs me.

My optician says that I got the right glasses (he decreased the numbers as much as he can), getting something with a smaller number will mean putting on plain glasses and naturally will not increase my vision quality. And also he also refuses to give me a prism glass as my diplopia is really small and effective only in far view. He says that most probably the best way would be waiting for a few months and after that time if my eyes still refuse glasses it might be better for me to continue without glasses.

I’m sure that there must be someone else here who experienced similar problems. I would be really happy to hear how they overcame this problem. Would some eye exercises or something like that help?

Sorry for writing so long, thanks for reading

Sorry to hear. I received my first pair of progressive lenses last year. I also suffer from oscillopsia on/off, where things jump when I change focal points.

It took me a out 4 months of wearing my glasses constantly to adapt. When the oscillopsia flares up, I still have issues but would with or without the glasses.

Good luck as you try to adjust.
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

I've had non-MS-related bad eyesight for years & also presbyopia. Several times when my Rx changed, I had a tough time adjusting. Last time I got new contacts, it took a good 3 months to feel like I could see.

I usually just forced myself to wear the new glasses/contacts for an increasing amount of time each day for a while. Eventually, my brain & eyes synced up.

That may not be the case for you, but it sounds like you're kind of stuck, so maybe worth trying.

Comment

You might look into having prisms incorporated into your lenses to correct diplopia. My friend (who has MS) had this done and she sees well now.

You can google it to see that it is used for diplopia and to see if you think it might be an option for you. You might remember when Hillary Clinton fell and got a concussion, she wore glasses with a prism for awhile until her neurological vision issues subsided.

You might need to see a neuro-ophthalmologist to pursue this treatment. I know the one in NYC who treated my friend, in case you are nearby, I'm happy to give you his name.

Comment

Originally posted by pennstater View Post
          Sorry to hear. I received my first pair of progressive lenses last year. I also suffer from oscillopsia on/off, where things jump when I change focal points.

It took me a out 4 months of wearing my glasses constantly to adapt. When the oscillopsia flares up, I still have issues but would with or without the glasses.

Good luck as you try to adjust.
          thank you very much for your reply. At least now I know that if I persist on wearing them some day I'll adopt them Really nice to hear because it has been nearly 2 months up to now and I was so close to give up and throw them out.

But if I have a chance at the end to adopt them I'll go on wearing.

Comment

Originally posted by Special Kay View Post
            You might look into having prisms incorporated into your lenses to correct diplopia. My friend (who has MS) had this done and she sees well now.

You can google it to see that it is used for diplopia and to see if you think it might be an option for you. You might remember when Hillary Clinton fell and got a concussion, she wore glasses with a prism for awhile until her neurological vision issues subsided.

You might need to see a neuro-ophthalmologist to pursue this treatment. I know the one in NYC who treated my friend, in case you are nearby, I'm happy to give you his name.

Thank you very much for your help offer. But I'm really far away from NYC. I live in Turkey

Here in Turkey there are two types of neuro-ophthalmologists. First group work under the Eye Departmant in hospitals. The second group of neuro-ophthalmologists wrok under Neurology Departmant.

I first went to one working under Eye Department. They sugested me to wait for 3 months and then visit them again.

Then I went to a well known eye M.D. He told me that in my city he prescribes prisms better than neuro-ophthalmologists in my City. Really he has a ver wide range equipments in his office. He told me that as my diplopia is really minor and not stable (may change time to time) he does not suggest prism for me. And I believe in him.

But I plan to go to a neuro-ophthalmologists work under Neurology Departmant also. I think that they must have similar experiences with other people before.

Comment

dibidibi............ diplopia is NOT the ONLY cause of double vision. I have had diplopia since I was 19, almost 20 and worn prisms ever since for it. A few years ago I had cataracts removed, (2 in each eye, 1 reg and one specific to diabetes) and had double vision in one eye and had to have that corrected.

How to tell diplopia double vision, from other causes is simple. Cover each eye, one at a time and if the double vision goes away, the its diplopia. IF one eye still sees double with the other eye closed, then you have a double vision issue in that eye, other than common diplopia.

Gomer Sir Falls-a-lot

Comment

Working...
              X