What treatments in Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What treatments in Canada

What treatments are paid for us by the government in Ontario, Canada? I have already had Copaxane, didn't work more and more lesions.On to Aubagio white blood cells are getting very low and have very bad side effects. What other treatments are there available out there. Would love to know their names.

The Trillium plan in Ontario is based on family income, and that determines what "deductible" is paid out quarterly. If you have private health insurance though it complicates the Trillium picture a bit - I know it does for my particular case. None of the available MS treatments in Canada are covered per se - some of them do get covered if your doctor fills in the Section 8 forms for the approval.

Copaxone, Rebif, Avonex, Betaseron, I know can get section 8 approval on Trillium. I'm not 100% sure about Gilenya - I believe it might be now, or soon to be if it isn't. There's generally a 1 year waiting period for all the paperwork etc from the time it goes on the market to Trillium accepting it for section 8 (there's a cost/benefit analysis to that also determines whether or not Trillium will pick it up)

Aubagio is expected to get its coverage late this year. Tecfidera the last time I spoke with my neurologist was not yet covered. (That was 6 months ago, so it should be available for Section 8 soon)

I can't really speak to how Trillium works because, although every person in Ontario qualifies, I have private insurance and it makes dealing with that government body a nightmare (and for me has no effect in what I actually have to pay out of pocket in the end.)

I can't speak at all to the Ontario Drug Benefit program because I am not yet old enough or on Disability Support.

Comment

Are you on ODSP?
      RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
      "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Working...
      X