Legs giving out, but not weak, huh?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Legs giving out, but not weak, huh?

About 3-4 weeks ago, I was blow drying my hair and when I went to walk, my left leg just gave out. I could not put weight on it. Then later on, it was my right leg. I do have spasticity in both legs. I take Baclofen.

Sometimes, over the years, my ankles would lock up. I know that now to be the spasticity.

I needed to wear a knee brace for a short time. Then an ankle brace. I got worried only when it seemed to be both legs.

Went to Orthopedic and its not my knees. So they think its probably related to MS. My legs are NOT weak though. Wonder if its ligaments/tendons? Is that possible?

Its not the heat either. If I am sitting for awhile, and get up, my leg goes out too.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Jan
    I believe in miracles~!
    2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
    Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

jan,

Oh hun sorry this is happening. There are muscles that help the tendons and I wonder if THAT could be effecting your knees/ankles. If it is BOTH sides, it certainly COULD be MS
    Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Comment

jman, "Wonder if its ligaments/tendons? Is that possible?"

I have a similar theory about my hips locking up while walking. I suspect it's a form of spascisty affecting ligaments, tendons, and soft thissue that supports hip movement and rotation.

I searched a few MS research sites months ago that discuss the same theory. Wish I had saved a few of the links for you, but today is just not a day I that I can do the exhausting search again. sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by MSW1963 View Post
        jman, "Wonder if its ligaments/tendons? Is that possible?"

I have a similar theory about my hips locking up while walking. I suspect it's a form of spascisty affecting ligaments, tendons, and soft thissue that supports hip movement and rotation.

I searched a few MS research sites months ago that discuss the same theory. Wish I had saved a few of the links for you, but today is just not a day I that I can do the exhausting search again. sorry.
        When you say your hips are locking up, do they seem to bind and make a clicking with each step? Because both my knees and hips are like that, it actually feels like bone to bone contact.

Comment

mjan

check your hip flexors. When you are sitting, can you resist pressure that is placed on your thigh on the leg that has given out on you. Can you lift that leg up against resistance.

That can cause the legs to give out, especially when I first getting up. There are some specific exercises that PT can show you. They are to detailed for me to explain.
          God Bless and have a good day, Mary

Comment

Originally posted by kelm10 View Post
            check your hip flexors. When you are sitting, can you resist pressure that is placed on your thigh on the leg that has given out on you. Can you lift that leg up against resistance.

That can cause the legs to give out, especially when I first getting up. There are some specific exercises that PT can show you. They are to detailed for me to explain.
            Thanks for that information. Yes, I tried it, sitting, and it all seems fine. It started with quad, just above the knee and then now its more behind the knee.

I appreciate your help, I do!

Warmly, Jan
            I believe in miracles~!

Comment

Fishead and MSW1963, yes, I do think its the muscles/tendon/ligaments. I have most trouble with quads/hamstrings.
              Hope its temporary.

Thanks for your concern and responses~

Warmly, Jan
              I believe in miracles~!

Comment

when I was going through numerous tests, one of the problems I had were my legs locking up in the physical therapist Continuously looked at my hip flexors. I know that kelm has already given you that information, but I thought that it was worth repeating. Best of luck to you!
                hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
                volunteer
                MS World
                hunterd@msworld.org
                PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

That's horrible Jan, I wish I had words of wisdom for you. I only wanted to say that approx 95% of all my MS falls in almost 9 years have been like what just happened to you, leg gave out, left and right.

I hope you get to the source of it, pls keep us posted.
                  Jen
                  RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
                  "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

PT

I would still visit a physical therapist (PT) for their input. It would be well worth any copay or deductible that you might have.
                    God Bless and have a good day, Mary

Comment

jman

One of the 'MS and hip flexor' sites I visited was a VA.gov site.

Clinical trial studies of PT for MS and hip flexor performed by VA resulted in worsening of mobility after the trial.

I posted the link to the VA.gov clinical trial research results of PT for MS hip flexor, in one of my responses to a post about hip flexor, try searching all my post with subject hip flexor if you are interested.

I'm recovering from something today, heat exhaustion in +90degree temps, or side effects from my new med, not sure.

I'm going to continue 'recovery', but if I can find the study link later I will post it.

Comment

Hi Jan - sorry this is happening to you I would also recommend some PT to have them assess what is going on. You certainly don't want to fall and hurt yourself!

And MSW - is this what you're looking for? http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthr...ght=hip+flexor I think the site is listed as 3rd post.

Hope you recover! You too Jan
                        1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                        Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Baclofen

Hi mjan,

I take Baclofen now too, and one of the things my neuro told me is that it can cause muscles to give out. He called it "temporary spaghetti legs". Every once in a while my legs sort of just give out as well. It only started happening to me when I started Baclofen. I otherwise love what it does for my spasticity

Comment

Thanks Seasha, that's the thread with the VA.gov link I referred to.

I would not discourage anyone with hip flexor spascity or similar scelator and soft tissue spascity problems to persue PT.

Comment

Dale76

I'm not sure about the 'clicking' or 'binding' you referred to.

It seems when my hips lock up (for lack of a better description), it's usually in public, after 30 mins at the mall, and the care is parked in the complete opposite direction, making for a very painful waddle back to the safety of the car, fingers that I'll make it without injury other than to my ego. I've never noticed any type of clicking, but I'm usually pretty distracted when it happens.

It's uncomplicated cause and effect, my hips stop rotating, preventing me from lifting my legs after a relatively short period of time and repetative motion.

I'm also experiencing a preassure type pain in my hip joints, and on my skin that feels like a bruise, when I sleep on either side.

Comment

Working...
                              X