MS and STROKE vent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS and STROKE vent

I know MS and stroke are not related and they are not caused by the same thing. But, why me?

On Sunday, July 27, I woke up and took a bite of watermelon and couldn't keep it in my mouth. I thought, 'I feel like those old ladies who have had a stroke.' But didn't think much of it because a lot of times parts of my body don't work when I first wake up.

Then I looked in the mirror. My face was all twisted but still wasn't too alarmed because MS has cause so many weird things to happen. After an hour or so, I called my son. We couldn't get face time to work but he said maybe I should go to urgent care. He was out of town so he called his father. He was so casual about it and asked, "what could it be?" I said, "well these symptoms could be a stroke."

So he came to pick me up. When we got to ER I didn't have to say anything to the admitting clerk. They sent me straight into triage. Now I know how true emergencies are treated. Everything was done instantaneously. IV in, on the gurney, straight to CT scan. They said, 'we are in a time window.'

There was no brain bleed but they still admitted me. I got to ER at 11:00am and taken to my room at 3:00am. Got to sleep at 5:00am and they woke me up at 7:00am. Sent me in for an MRI without contrast and as the afternoon dragged on, I became more a more exhausted. My neuro was on vacation so her partner ordered the tests. I finally got to fall asleep and went into one of those unwakable sleeps states that many of us are familiar with.

Then, at 4:00pm this neuro comes in and screams, "you've had a stroke" I thought, 'ok, I'm not surprised now please let me go back to sleep'. But, noooo. He started screaming my name and giving orders, lift your leg...and on and on until I had no choice but to wake up. At least the nurse was at my side to experience this abusive treatment. I told him, " I am one of Dr. Hanna's patients and expect to be treated as such."

Then my PCP comes in. He told me I would have to go to a rehab program. I said, ok. What I found out was that "rehab" is a euphemism for nursing home. They wanted me to sign a paper agreeing to restraints. They said it's just so we can put the side rails up when we clean your bum. I said, "no thank you."

The air conditioning system was so dirty I felt all the life being sucked out of me. My oxygen saturation was 88. It was over 90 degrees in the room. A lady who had been there for two years became hysterical if anyone tried to close the curtain so the sun was beating in.

Needless to say, at 7:30 Am the next day, I was on the phone with everyone I could manage to get me out. Now I'm back home(what a relief) but I am left with the horror inside me. What if I have to end up in one one those places? They are like death camps. Even the pitchers of water look like the urns they put ashes in. It would be a terrible way to die. I'm scared.

Hi palmtree,

All I can think of to say right now is I'm so sorry. Please, vent all you want!

To top things off, your nursing home experience sounds just horrible. How do these places even pass state inspections? Glad you were able to get out and go home!!! (Can't help it, but I have the same fear of one day ending up in a place like that back in my mind.)

I hope you are managing OK and improving since your stroke. I also hope you are having home therapy right now. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Please, keep us updated.

(((Hugs))),
    Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

How terrifying Palmtree, I'm so glad you made it home. Sounds kinda abusive, like a stroke with MS isn't bad enough! Unfortunately I have nothing to offer, I'm in Canada, but just wanted to wish you well. Please keep us updated, I hope your stroke was a one-time occurrence!
      Jen
      RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
      "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Stroke

I'm sorry you had a stroke. I sent the group an email about 2 weeks ago and didn't get any responces. I do believe strokes and Ms are closely related.

With both you get numbness dizziness, lact of limb control an d many other things are common with both. It is hard for me to believe they are totally disconnected.

I am sorry you were treated the way you were. I don 't think that should happen in anyone in any place. I am glad you are home and hopefully getting better and stronger. My treatment was much better and I did have to stay in the hospital for a longer period of time.

Comment

same thing happened to me

Hi palmtree I'm bobby 72 and let me tell you I was in a couple different ones over the years and the worst one was when a head nurse left for memorial day after starting my Ivey and the medicine was for a staff infection and she went to a party and then shopping and I was trying to find her to get it out so I could use the toilet and finally I pulled it myself.

So when she got back she and her friend flipped out on me screaming and telling me she was going to see to it that I get thrown out of there and telling me I'd lose my leg do to staff and I was in tears crying and freaked out. Well this other nurse was there and she heard what she was saying and called the abodsmen.

So the next day he came to see me and of course the head nurse was right there listening and being afraid I told him nothing happened and went home to my house that day. once home I called the ombudsmen and told him and he told me that it was too late cause I said it didn't happen.

So even though I was afraid for my life and health and safety they wouldn't do anything about it and the head nurse fired the one that called and turned her in so ever since I have not done good at hospital's and I have never been back to a nursing home. So I'm glad you got home ok and I pray that you make a good recovery.

Also if you need help your Dr can order visiting nursing to see you at home and in home care for you if you are on ssi soc sec. And your Medicare and Medicaid should pay for it keep us posted on how you are doing.
          Bobby

** Moderator's note - Post broken into paragraphs for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print. **

Comment

Hello palmtree,

I am so sorry you had a stoke and you were treated so badly by a Dr. I am with you about nursing homes I am scared to death to think I may be in one someday but hopefully that will never happen.

How are you doing?
            God Bless Us All

Comment

Thank you, everyone. Still very glad to be home. My doctor did order home health and the speech therapist said she thinks I'm doing so well that I don't need therapy. They gave me a list of exercises so as I do them, I notice an improvement every day.

What is making me mad, now, is that I saw my regular neuro today. She said this doctor wrote a terrible report about me. He told her I was abusive to the nurses, refusing things and not obeying. I'm at my wits end trying to protect myself. It was all a complete lie. I don't want to change neuros but now she said she doesn't want to order my Tysabri anymore because the hospital is demanding too much paperwork.

I feel like I'm being kicked off the planet.

Comment

Glad you are improving.

I think I would be finding a new neuro if she is worrying about paper work and not about you.

Hope you continue to improve.
                God Bless Us All

Comment

Originally posted by palmtree View Post
                  Thank you, everyone. Still very glad to be home. My doctor did order home health and the speech therapist said she thinks I'm doing so well that I don't need therapy. They gave me a list of exercises so as I do them, I notice an improvement every day.

What is making me mad, now, is that I saw my regular neuro today. She said this doctor wrote a terrible report about me. He told her I was abusive to the nurses, refusing things and not obeying. I'm at my wits end trying to protect myself. It was all a complete lie. I don't want to change neuros but now she said she doesn't want to order my Tysabri anymore because the hospital is demanding too much paperwork.

I feel like I'm being kicked off the planet.
                  Sorry to hear about your stroke and the hassles with the medical community that it's caused.

My dad had a stroke and rehabbed at home...they just sent the therapists to him, it worked out well.

As far as stroke and MS, a lot of us would meet the criteria of having a stroke, they're just part of our symptoms. I had a walk in Dr. try to send me to the ER because I exhibited all the classic signs, but I had to convince her that I always had those symptoms. A couple other members, like you, when they started having symptoms just figured it was the MS, and later it was determined to be a stroke. That's the hard part about MS symptoms often mimicking stroke symptoms.

As to rehab, if the hospital tells you you need rehab, ask to be transferred to the rehab floor of the hospital. Best care by far, if they have the room, and depending how long you'll need to stay. Next best thing is an actual rehab facility where they send people to rehab for everything from hip replacement, stroke, knee replacement, etc. These are not nursing homes, they're for short term rehab. A nursing home can give you therapy, and some do have great therapists, but there are some good ones and some bad ones. Sounds like you landed in a bad one.

If this should happen again, or even once you get feeling better, shop nursing homes in the area, see which ones are more equipped for rehab from MS, stroke, etc...so if there is a next go, God forbid, you'd know where you wanted to go and wouldn't have to be at the mercy of the social worker at the hospital.

As to new neuro and new hospital, sounds like you might be being "snubbed" due to some false report in your file. But it's hard to get those false reports corrected since it's subjective material, so a new neuro and maybe a new hospital should you need hospitalization in the future.

Glad you're home...hope you recuperate quickly.

Comment

Well if this just does not flat out suck! Vent away...then do it again! When the Neuro was screaming to lift your leg, you should kicked him right in his "family maker". I don't have any soothing words, but I sure hope you are right as rain soon.
                    Katie
                    "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
                    "My MS is a Journey for One."
                    Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Hello, luv.
                      I do know how you feel, having had a burst aneurysm, many years ago.

At that stage, my MS wan't really noticeable. I was sick as a dog for a month, then I came good. Lord knows how it would be if that happened now.

All my best. You will come good. Don't let them make you "go to rehab" if that means leaving your home.

Comment

palmtree, I'm so sorry to hear about your stroke and the shabby treatment by all the medical professionals you relied on for care.

I think your experience is an example of my own and many other MS'rs worst fears.

Congrats on being back 'Home Sweet Home'.

BTW, is it my imagination or is there a theme 'trending' on the board?

"They tried to make me go to rehab, but I said No No No!"

Comment

I'm just sad now because I probably DO have to look for a new neuro. This creep who behaved so badly is my neuro's partner so there is going to be bad blood. I like that idea of kicking him in his "family maker". I wish I could react that quickly. That's another thing MS has robbed me of-the ability to defend myself.

Comment

My dear Palmtree, I am so sorry for ALL you have been enduring. What is with these neuros? How rude and abusive.

Now as far as rehab, yes most often they are within a skilled nursing home, but at least here, it is a good program with a structure of treatment, nursing care and discharge as soon as possible. Often it is not even in the nursing home part but aside from it. Again, I am sorry for all you are enduring. Restraints? Hmm.. never understood there reasoning.

I will pray you get a better neuro with much better treatment. Are you in the USA ? Just wondering if insurance will be a factor in finding a new neuro.

Keep us informed and know you are never alone if you remain with us here. We care and will support you best we can.

Hugs to you, my dear,

Warmly, Jan
                            I believe in miracles~!
                            2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
                            Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

Wow, you escaped a nursing home by the skin of you teeth! That does not sound like a good hospital, at all!

Comment

Working...
                              X