Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possible to remain with sensory symptoms forever?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it possible to remain with sensory symptoms forever?

Hi guys,

Just like he title asks, do you think it's possible to remain with sensory only symptoms for the course of the disease with only few flare ups?

Also with symptoms that are only obvious to you, like mild tingling etc?

This has been me so far and I'm 43. My neuro seems to think that I will follow this course. Hope he's right!

Thanks

I was dx in 95 at age 21 w/ RRMS and for the past 8 yrs I have had tingling and slight numbness in both legs/feet.

Meds may or may not work for sensory sxs as u probably know.

Some people do have primarily sensory sxs, I do not know how long this will last.

TC and I wish you the best

Comment

I think it is absolutely possible. I also think it is highly unlikely as time goes on, but I certainly hope you continue to experience MS this way.

Comment

Originally posted by Alicious View Post
        I think it is absolutely possible. I also think it is highly unlikely as time goes on, but I certainly hope you continue to experience MS this way.
        Yup I agree, it is possible, but in my experience MS rarely remains mild over the long haul.
        He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
        Anonymous

Comment

I think it's possible. I am 63 and diagnosed with MS about 10 years ago though in retrospect I know MS was present back in my late 20's... BUT because my symptoms were sensory for the most part I neve saw a doctor...thought I had back issues or something . Anyway, I have a "few" mild symptoms other than sensory but am grateful to have little serious impact. As I said...mostly sensory.

Don't know if this is helpful input but there you have it...my story...and I'm sticking to it.. hee hee.
          Susie

Eph 3:20-21

Comment

Originally posted by bammaw View Post
            I think it's possible. I am 63 and diagnosed with MS about 10 years ago though in retrospect I know MS was present back in my late 20's... BUT because my symptoms were sensory for the most part I neve saw a doctor...thought I had back issues or something . Anyway, I have a "few" mild symptoms other than sensory but am grateful to have little serious impact. As I said...mostly sensory.

Don't know if this is helpful input but there you have it...my story...and I'm sticking to it.. hee hee.
            Thank you for sharing your positive experience. I hope it continues!
            He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
            Anonymous

Comment

I hope your neurologist is right too. Your scenario is possible, but not common. By definition, MS is a chronic, progressive disease so remaining in a dormant or extremely mild condition would be atypical.
              • There was a cadaver study conducted in Europe that showed a number of people had brain damage consistent with MS, but they were never diagnosed. The study suggested that MS is under reported and under diagnosed by up to 30%. It is possible a number of these patients had a milder form of MS or that they did not seek or obtain qualified medical treatment.
              • On the other hand, there is research that suggests less than 10% of lesions generate a clinical symptom. This suggests that patients are experiencing new lesion activity, but remain asymptomatic. Over time this silent damage can accumulate leading to physical or mental deficits.

There are indicators that a patient may have a better prognosis than others. Some of the "good" indicators are:
              • Closer to 20 than 40 when diagnosed
              • Over 60 when diagnosed (with no relapse history)
              • Being female
              • Initial presenting symptom was isolated to sensory symptoms (i.e. Optic Neuritis)
              • Low MRI lesion load
              • Full recovery from initial relapse
              • Lengthy intervals between relapses
              • Little to no EDSS disability after 5 years

Comment

Yep, no, tick the whole list. Still basically stuffed. Started at the 13 year point. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                X