Chest pain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chest pain

I have been experiencing chest pain that can last for hours. It will be sore if I press on my chest even just a little bit. I have had an echocardiogram, EKG and stress test, but they have all been normal. Is it possible that this "feeling" could be the MS hug? Does anyone else experience this?

Thanks so much and have a wonderful and blessed day!

Lynn
    Dx 10/13/09 after 5-1/2 years of symptoms. Started Copaxone 11/1/2009. Stopped Copaxone 05/2012

Originally posted by smnc2002 View Post
    I have been experiencing chest pain that can last for hours. It will be sore if I press on my chest even just a little bit. I have had an echocardiogram, EKG and stress test, but they have all been normal. Is it possible that this "feeling" could be the MS hug? Does anyone else experience this?

Thanks so much and have a wonderful and blessed day!

Lynn
    Have you ruled out gas pain? I have chronic acid reflux type problems with my stomach (from my MS and or damage from codein based drugs) and I get chest pains at times. I have actually had pain down my left arm and in my chest.

I don't think that is the MS hug, at least for me it wouldn't be . It might just be general pain from MS too. I get random pain in different places at times and with no apparent trigger so I assume it is MS related.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale76 View Post
      Have you ruled out gas pain? I have chronic acid reflux type problems with my stomach (from my MS and or damage from codein based drugs) and I get chest pains at times. I have actually had pain down my left arm and in my chest.

I don't think that is the MS hug, at least for me it wouldn't be . It might just be general pain from MS too. I get random pain in different places at times and with no apparent trigger so I assume it is MS related.
      That is actually something we used to rule out (I worked in the CCU).
      Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Comment

For me, and only for me because each of us are different, the MS hug is more of a pressure than a pain, but that pressure can be painful in that the pressure can finally get so bad that it causes pain. It is not a stabbing pain, more of a tightening pain. It goes all the way around my upper chest and back, and causes me trouble breathing.

Good luck and hope you feel better soon!
        Lisa
        Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
        SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
        Tysabri

Comment

I must say, the next time this happens, please go to the ER! Do not think about it, do not try to rationalize it, just go! I would much rather hear that they saw you and send you home for something that turned out to be not much at all. I remember one time I had some sort of anxiety attack and I had difficulty breathing and my doctor almost sounded like she was going to "jump through the phone and strangle me herself". She said that there are some things that you would much rather be safe than sorry about. This sounds like one of them to me.
          hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
          volunteer
          MS World
          hunterd@msworld.org
          PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Originally posted by 22cyclist View Post
            For me, and only for me because each of us are different, the MS hug is more of a pressure than a pain, but that pressure can be painful in that the pressure can finally get so bad that it causes pain. It is not a stabbing pain, more of a tightening pain. It goes all the way around my upper chest and back, and causes me trouble breathing.

Good luck and hope you feel better soon!
            Lisa
            For me "the hug" feels like someone has their hands right on my ribs, like they reached right thru my flesh and have their hand on my rib cage.

I believe it is caused by spasticity but not sure. For me it is not painful but unbearably uncomfortable. It is like when you hit your funny bone, it is just an uncomfortable feeling. Reaching above my head has always been the trigger or laying on my back.

I have a similar feeling around my waistline. I find myself constantly fidgeting with my pants, pulling them up or down but never being comfortable with them around my waist.

Comment

Because you mentioned that it hurts to touch I thought of costochondritis. It's an inflammation of the cartilage in and around the ribs. I get this a lot. It does make you think.... "heart attack". Could also be Fibromyalgia which is pretty much the same thing as costochondritis. Look it up and ask your doctor.
              Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

Originally posted by hunterd View Post
                I must say, the next time this happens, please go to the ER! Do not think about it, do not try to rationalize it, just go! I would much rather hear that they saw you and send you home for something that turned out to be not much at all. I remember one time I had some sort of anxiety attack and I had difficulty breathing and my doctor almost sounded like she was going to "jump through the phone and strangle me herself". She said that there are some things that you would much rather be safe than sorry about. This sounds like one of them to me.
                AGREE COMPLETELY with huntrd
                Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Comment

I've had this many times. Last fall I went to ER THREE times with it. I had the full gamut of cardio and lung workups for it. At the time my neuro said it couldn't be related to whatever I'm in limbo with. I have metres of perfect ECGs.

Things have settled down somewhat in the new year and at his point I get it most days unless I lay really, really lo BUT It usually doesn't hurt, just tightness, air hunger and sometimes I have to use my cflex even during the day for it. It is markedly fatigue related.

I'm looking forward to finding out what it is. There has been some talk of myasthenia gravis in my situation, but the initial antibody test was fine so I "think" that's off the table?

I'm sorry you're dealing with this. But yes, I had terrible pain with it when it was at it's worst, had cardiologist telling me to race to ER ... Then ER staff lecturing me on anxiety and mental health :P

Comment

Working...
                  X