Don't look down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't look down

I'm not sure what's going on with me, but I've suddenly become extremely sensitive to things on television that show movement at or from any significant height or even just views from a height. Like some commercials or programs show roller coasters. Just a few minutes ago, there was a commercial that showed the view from the top of a skyscraper. A majestic view of the grand canyon, or the view of a hang glider might just put me on the floor.

When I see these types of things, I get that stomach drop, sudden nausea, head rush, vision fade, it's a good thing I'm not standing up feeling. I think I'm going to throw up and pass out. I probably will throw up if I don't look away quickly.

Back in May, I had trouble on a plane for the first time ever. I love to fly. Taking off is the best. I always get a window seat so I can look out and down. But this time, almost each time I looked out, I had the sudden feeling that the plane might just drop. With the window closed, I made it through the flight, but I got very warm and thought I'd get sick and pass out.

Another problem that may be related is that for the past few months I've had trouble driving distances on long, straight highways and interstates. This has been off and on, not every trip. It seems like I get about halfway or 3/4 of the way to my destination (3 hours away), and then it starts. It's a feeling of great unsteadiness, and it seems like there is just too much going on outside my car. All the trees approaching and sliding by on both sides, occasional cars going along with me or approaching from the opposite direction. And the signs, and the lines on the roads. It all seems too fluid and I have to really focus. It helps if I limit my view by lowering the visor and sitting up as tall as possible. I mentioned this one to my doc and he suggested Pulfrich's Syndrome.

I don't know that Pulfrich's explains the other stuff going on. It doesn't make sense to me that just seeing the view from a great height can make me almost lose it. Does this make sense or sound familiar to anyone? Going down stairs is starting to make me a little uneasy too, but maybe that is just psychological. I now pause at the top, hold the rail, and take the first step with attention. Once I get going, I'm fine unless I think about it.
    Portia

have you seen an ophthalmologist about this? It almost sounds to me like you're depth perception may be off. That is just the first thing that I thought of, it is nothing but a guess.
    hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
    volunteer
    MS World
    hunterd@msworld.org
    PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

I don't have this watching tv but definitely have vertigo symptoms when looking at moving objects like escalators. I have a lot of difficulty stepping on an escalator, looking over a railing, or walking down stairs if I look forward. I have to look at my feet and hold on to a railing in order to keep my balance, keep myself from falling, and slow the nausea.

If I move my head too fast or things move around me too fast it happens too. Closing my eyes and sitting for a few minutes usually helps. I also take meclizine for it now which helps some. My doctor wants me to switch to phenergan 3x a day to try to prevent it from coming on.

Definitely weird sensations. Proprioception issues.

Comment

I don't have this watching tv but definitely have vertigo symptoms when looking at moving objects like escalators. I have a lot of difficulty stepping on an escalator, looking over a railing, or walking down stairs if I look forward. I have to look at my feet and hold on to a railing in order to keep my balance, keep myself from falling, and slow the nausea.

If I move my head too fast or things move around me too fast it happens too. Closing my eyes and sitting for a few minutes usually helps. I also take meclizine for it now which helps some. My doctor wants me to switch to phenergan 3x a day to try to prevent it from coming on.

Definitely weird sensations. Proprioception issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Portia View Post
          I mentioned this one to my doc and he suggested Pulfrich's Syndrome.

I don't drive anymore, but years ago when I was first diagnosed, I remember telling the neuro how I felt when driving on the interstate, and she said it was because of differences between eyes (I guess they tell this from the VEP) I never knew there was a name for it.

Her advice to me, that worked for a long time was to drive in the far right lane of the interstate. That way the objects on my right are at least stationary (even though I'm driving past them) and when you drive in the middle to left lane, you have cars moving on either side of you, plus you're moving yourself. Her advice seemed to work on interstate driving.

I gave up driving when my double vision, although corrected by prisms and helping a lot with close up work, does seem to act up in the car, and my depth perception is not so great either.

I have the same weirdness with fast moving TV shows, or movies for that matter. The trailers at the theater are the worst. We rarely go to see a movie in a theater anymore. I have to keep my head down during the trailers, the sound is very loud, and I just enjoy it more on my home screen. Sometimes my huband will go to a movie he wants to see on the big screen, but for the most part, we wait till it shows up on Pay per View or Amazon.

As to the other feelings, like the airplane, etc. I don't know what that might be. But your driving experience seems like fatigue plays into the picture, along with sensory overload. You do okay, then you "hit the wall" and the fatigue and sensory overload make everything harder and weirder.

Comment

I can't watch anything with action, especially the swirly, fast camera shots. Makes me dizzy. I usually just close my eyes until those scenes are finished. And I do not do amusement parks at all.

I never considered it could be my eyes. Might have to look into this, although I don't know what can be done. I use sunglasses in stores that have those long lights (can't think of what they are called).
            Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

Sounds like something a physical therapist who understands vertigo issues (vestibular therapy) could help with. A physician could refer you.

Or, to attempt, on your own, to re-train your brain to tolerate those movements, you could, multiple times daily, intentionally expose yourself, briefly, to the stimuli that triggers your symptoms. Until it begins to be uncomfortable to tolerate it.

After a week or two, see if you experience any results.

~ Faith
              ~ Faith
              MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
              (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
              - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
              - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
              - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

It sounds like it could be a proprioception issue or vertigo. And Yes I agree with Faith that Vestibular therapy may be helpful.

I had that therapy by one of two PT therapists trained to offer such therapy. Your Neuro has to order it. I didn't think it was helping, and even seemed worse, then all of a sudden after it was all done, my balance and sense of position improved along with the vertigo.

Try to get this evaluated. Let us know how you are doing okay?

Warmly, Jan
                I believe in miracles~!
                2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
                Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

I also get the same symptoms you have explained and my neuro says it might or might not be ms related. I got my eyes checked out because it mostly feels like its because of my eyes and turned out I have high eye pressure so basically pre glaucoma. But now the ophthalmologist says he doesn't think it's my eyes that it's my ms..

Same old back an forth between doctors thing, but will keep pushing for an answer. I also loose balance depending on the lighting inside the store. Till now nothing has worked to help with these symptoms. I have not heard of Pulfrich's Syndrome or phenergan I will look into those.

Comment

Me too

I have to drive as my wife doesn't. I was a very strong driver at one time, I had nerves of steel... Now I really do have troubles at times, I can't maintain a steady speed, sometimes I have trouble maintaining lane position or catch myself weaving around or driving right on the very edge. I have pulled up to intersections and just froze, totally blanking on who goes first etc.

Some things that have helped me: A very comfortable car, ditched my compact car and bought a luxury car. This helps me stay comfortable and relaxed when driving, it dampens the outside noises better so I can stay focused and it has cruise control!

Energy drinks, some people think they are bad for you but so is falling asleep and driving off the road or worse so I drink them to ensure I'm alert.

Driving slower helps as well for sure, I now just drive the speed limit or less. I also try to pick less populated roads. I stop every hour or less and get out and do stretches, walk around, otherwise I seize up.

Mostly I avoid long drives and city drives.

I'm a little surprised your doctor didn't recommend you stop driving? I have heard of people loosing their licenses over this kind of thing. I'm terrified I will "blank out" behind the wheel and cause an accident....

Comment

I actually don't have the problem driving in traffic, but on long stretches of road like interstates and state highways. Avoiding these roads isn't an option, since it is the trip to see my neuro that is problematic. He is three hours away in Kansas City. I am in a drug study there, so changing doctors isn't an option either. Besides I really like him.

I stop halfway there for a pit stop and to stretch. Maybe I could work in another short stop to ease fatigue if that is part of the problem. I may also refuel myself on caffeine at the halfway point. My neuro asked if someone else could drive me, but there is no one to do that. Recently I got a new car (old, but new for me), so we'll see if that makes a difference.

I just thought of maybe a better way to explain what I experience with the driving: it's like I can't incorporate all the visual stimuli into one moving picture that doesn't throw me for a loop, leave me feeling unsteady. I don't know if that is any better. Things moving at different speeds and in different directions in relation to me start to become less parts of the whole scene and more like individual items that I need to focus on. Since it's impossible to focus on them each at the same time, it makes me want to hold on like I'm on a thrill ride.

Along with reducing my field of vision with the visor, I will try some of all the great suggestions. Drive slower, take more breaks, drink more caffeine, wear sunglasses, stay in the far right lane. Got a different car, and I'm getting new glasses soon so maybe that will help with eye fatigue. We'll see how it goes. My next trip is in August.
                      Portia

Comment

I have similar symptoms, but always just thought it was me! I never put it together with my MS, but now I'm wondering. I have horrible depth perception, and low vision, so I thought that played a part. But, when I'm driving, the motion really throws me. I used to drive a pick-up truck, and I loved that truck. But, I had to trade it in because on the highway, if the least little bit of sway started with it, I felt like I had just stepped off a roller coaster. The disorientation was awful. When I park, I have to check my emergency brake twice because I feel like the car is still moving, that happens if I just drive a few blocks. My family looks at me like I'm a little goofy when I describe to them what it feels like to drive, but they are all terrified to drive with me so they know something is off.

Comment

Working...
                        X