Trouble eating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trouble eating

Recently I was having the feeling of being always full. I get terrible heartburn that I take antacid for. When I eat I can't really swallow. If I take a pill I have to drink at least two cups of water to wash it down and it is still stuck in my throat. I find myself struggling to push the food down my esophagus if I eat something chewier like meat. Shredded carrot will also always bother me.
    I really don't know if this is MS related or a totally different condition.
    Thank you for any advice.

Maple
    RRMS Diagnosed December 2009,
    on Copaxone December 2009-October 2011 -
    Starting interferons hopefully soon.

Eating

I have had troublde swallowing but I haven't done anything about it yet. I have a close friend who is a cancer patient who has lots of trouble.

the doctors will put a tube down her esophagus and stretch so that swallowing is much easier. She has no trouble having this done

Comment

I have had a few times that swallowing was difficult especially with pills. I've also had alot of nuasea when I wake up first thing in the morning. Sometimes I wonder if it's MS or something else. I have heard that it is common to have swallowing issues with MS but mine is not a constant happening.

Hope you feel better....

Diagnosed 6-28-14
      RRMS
      Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much. ~Helen Keller~

Comment

Ask your neuro to refer you for a swallowing test. They sit you in front of a fluroscope and you eat different textures, consistences, etc. of food that's dipped in barium. They watch your chewing, your tongue, your esophagus, as the food is swalloed. That way they can evaluate exactly what foods are easier for you to eat and which foods you should avoid. Recognizing swallowing problems, and following the speech therapists advice can go a long way toward avoiding aspiration pneumonia.

Comment

Originally posted by rdmc View Post
          Ask your neuro to refer you for a swallowing test. They sit you in front of a fluroscope and you eat different textures, consistences, etc. of food that's dipped in barium. They watch your chewing, your tongue, your esophagus, as the food is swalloed. That way they can evaluate exactly what foods are easier for you to eat and which foods you should avoid. Recognizing swallowing problems, and following the speech therapists advice can go a long way toward avoiding aspiration pneumonia.
          rdmc, says it well. The speech therapist can give hints for easier swallowing.

I have difficulty only with really dry meat, so I stay away from them.
          God Bless and have a good day, Mary

Comment

Working...
          X