Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Symptoms getting worse by the day

Hello all.

I've been having strange symptoms for several months now and I feel like my case is not being taken seriously by my doctor, so I'd appreciate any feedback you can give. It's a long list, and I'm not sure if may indicate possible MS or not. These symptoms are draining me, and I'd appreciate some opinions and insights.

- Feeling of pressure around the eyes and temples. Eyes red most of the time with raised IOP.

- Feeling of pressure at the top of my skull.

- Pain in the bottom back of my skull

- Feeling of pressure around the eyes when bending or coughing strongly (no sinusitis)

- Headaches

- This is hard to describe: woke up one day feeling dazed or as if I'm half asleep. This feeling never went away since. 24/7. I feel like I'm not fully appreciating my surroundings. I am almost forgetting how I used to feel normally before.

- Daily frequent twitches, mainly of the thumbs but also other areas of arms and legs. It even sometimes follows a pattern of 2-1-2. This didn't use to happen before.

- Feeling of things moving in the toes, like a small electrical current or like water flowing.

- Had a full day of pain in one of my legs (in its entire length)

- Pain under one sole when walking

- Occasional sudden feeling of needle pinches when walking (mostly around the thighs and knees)

- Occasional nausea, with one episode lasting 2 weeks.

- General weakness in the body and muscles

- Feeling tired and drowsy all day - can't stay up at night like before.

- Feeling unsteady, gets worse as the day goes by. By the end of the day, I need to be sitting or laying down.

I had an MRI with no contrast. Looking at the coronal T2 FLAIR, and going through the image sequence towards the back of the brain, I see 2 white patches / spots left and right, aligned. However the report does not mention them- could it have been missed?
    I can include a photo if someone can tell me what these could be.

I'm sorry for this long post. It's just that I don't know where to go to and what to do next. I'm completely physically drained by now.

First of all, welcome to MSWorld. I hope you'll come back often!

Next, I feel for ya.

But, don't know what to say.

MS, being a neurological disease, has many other neurological diseases that "mimic" it. The term for like-diseases is "differential diagnosis", if you wish to search.

Or, here is a link to a list, for example, of some of the diseases that have symptoms similar to MS. http://www.mult-sclerosis.org/differ...diagnosis.html

So, yes. Your symptoms could be indicative of MS.

But, no. They are not necessarily MS.

Stick around for awhile. If you remain un-dx, feel free to post in our Limbo Landers forum. http://www.msworld.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=100 Many of us were un-dx for a year or two or more.

~ Faith

I'm lazy and used abbreviations. Check our Stickie if you help deciphering them: http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthread.php?t=120253
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
      First of all, welcome to MSWorld. I hope you'll come back often!

Next, I feel for ya.

But, don't know what to say.

MS, being a neurological disease, has many other neurological diseases that "mimic" it. The term for like-diseases is "differential diagnosis", if you wish to search.

Or, here is a link to a list, for example, of some of the diseases that have symptoms similar to MS. http://www.mult-sclerosis.org/differ...diagnosis.html

So, yes. Your symptoms could be indicative of MS.

But, no. They are not necessarily MS.

Stick around for awhile. If you remain un-dx, feel free to post in our Limbo Landers forum. http://www.msworld.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=100 Many of us were un-dx for a year or two or more.

~ Faith

I'm lazy and used abbreviations. Check our Stickie if you help deciphering them: http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthread.php?t=120253

ditto
      i might add to go to the ER also. they should do ct scans and/or MRI exams.
      hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
      volunteer
      MS World
      hunterd@msworld.org
      PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Originally posted by river2014 View Post
        I had an MRI with no contrast. Looking at the coronal T2 FLAIR, and going through the image sequence towards the back of the brain, I see 2 white patches / spots left and right, aligned.

However the report does not mention them- could it have been missed?
        The report more than likely does mention what you are seeing simply because it's normal.

Unless you are trained in reading MRIs it is pretty difficult to know what is normal or abnormal. Even after having MRIs for years it is difficult for me to look at a MRI and know what I am looking at. The report, for me, is easier to understand.
        Diagnosed 1984
        “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Thanks a lot for your replies, both of you.

I've had an MRI which does not mention amongst its findings the white patches in the T2 flair, although they're there. Would anyone be able to have a look if I post a screenshot? I know we're not doctors, but I'm just trying to understand what's going on with me.

And in your opinion, is it possible at all that some hyperintensities be normal towards the back of the brain?

Much appreciated.

Comment

Sorry snoopy, I posted my reply before seeing yours.
            Add to that the fact my replies are going into a moderation queue because I'm a new member.

Comment

Originally posted by river2014 View Post
              Add to that the fact my replies are going into a moderation queue because I'm a new member.
              All posts, old members or new, are moderated at MSWorld.
              ~ Faith
              ~ Faith
              MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
              (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
              - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
              - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
              - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

If you have high IOP (Intraocular pressure), that is not normal, and could be consistent with a diagnosis of glaucoma, unrelated to MS or other neurological problems. Glaucoma usually evaluated and treated by an eye doctor.

MRI's are complex and hard to read, so I agree with Snoopy on that. Unless a radiologist or neurologist is here reading and posting, it's not likely anyone here could interpret your MRI.

That said, if you see white spots (or dark spots for that matter) that are symmetrical, the same on both right and left sides of the brain, it's probably normal. Though there are typical regions of the brain where MS abnormalities may appear, the lesions are usually randomly distributed in those areas, not symmetrically distributed. Which is likely why they are not mentioned in the report.

If you are not happy with your current doctor's approach to your case, you could get a second opinion. If you have been seeing your primary care practitioner, you may want to see a neurologist. If you have already seen a neuro and want to see a different one in a different location, it would probably be helpful to have your MRI pictures on a CD and a copy of the report (sounds like you already have that) to take with you to the appointment.

Good luck with your diagnostic journey, and Faith is right that the Limbo Landers forum may be helpful.

Comment

Some white areas on your MRI are normal and should be there. Bone, ventricles, tissue are all different shades and some like the ventricles should be symmetrical. I agree that you should let the neurologist and radiologist do the readings. They generally don't miss much.
                  I'm sorry that you are dealing with so many different symptoms. Some are definitely in the MS realm but could be related to other processes as well. If you don't feel comfortable with your doctors opinion you should definitely ask for a second opinion. It's awful to feel the way you do and have no answers.

Comment

remember what I said in chat

YOu can ask for MRIs of your cervical and thoracic are of your spine and make sure that they have tested your vitamin D level and B12 level along with checked for the mimics that faith gave you the link for.

That will give you something to work on rather then us or you looking at your MRI. I agree with the others. Leave it to your neuro and radiologist. You can have your neuro review the films with you, too. And like I said also, your neuro should be open to you getting a second opinion if he can not find the issues or do the tests that I listed above. If they are offended by the suggestion of a second opinion then run from the neuro and I would not go back.

Remember the NMSS can help with finding a MS neuro.
                    God Bless and have a good day, Mary

Comment

Working...
                    X