Timing of diagnosis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timing of diagnosis

I was tested for MS in 2008 (MRI had multiple areas of "flare" which neurologist felt could be attributed to my history of migraines) and a negative EVP test; she didn't think an LP was needed, as she thought the negative EVP ruled out MS.

I was subsequently diagnosed with adrenal insufficiency which explained most of my symptoms, and have been on physiologic/replacement hydrocortisone for 6 years.

For the past few months, I have had isolated, prolonged "cold" spots on my left thigh and buttock, and now have intermittent warm/hot feeling on the outside of my left foot. the last 2 days, I have had severe fatigue and lots of tingling (which I describe as "chills," but are not accompanied by goosebumps).

My question is, is there an advantage to being tested while having the symptoms, or will the tests be equally reliable when I am less symptomatic, or asymptomatic? (I have an internal medicine appt in a little over a week, but am wondering if I should try and get in to see a neurologist this week.) I guess the next obvious question is, is delaying the diagnosis going to lead to a worse prognosis?
    Thanks in advance for any guidance, words of wisdom, or support!!

Have you gotten a 2nd opinion to be tested for MS? I was dx in 95, at age 21 and was told I probably had MS at 16, no meds then. However, I had eye problems at 9, so I wonder if I had MS then?

Either way no meds were available back then and I did not take meds until 4 yrs after dx due to no insurance. At that time I only experience horrible balance, and later on weak legs.

You ask a good question about prolonging a dx, I would encourage you to ask a neuro that question.

Comment

Thanks, tspaulding, for your reply.
      I didn't get a 2nd opinion in 2008 (after the inconclusive MRI and the negative EVP test) because I was fairly soon thereafter diagnosed with secondary adrenal insufficiency, which explained most of my symptoms.
      I did make an appt with a neurologist for later this month, as I am concerned about the neuro symptoms that I am having now (tingling, "pin pricks," numbness, hot/cold spots).
      Thanks, again.

Comment

Your welcome and Good Luck with the neuro appt whatever the dx may be.

Hope you get the help and meds you need to feel better.

Comment

Working...
        X