Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tell me about your lumbar puncture, please? I am afraid.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cried like a baby...

Not to scare you beacause in hindsight it didn't really hurt and was over before I knew it. But still, I totally understand the phobia of it. Mine was done in an out patient hospital setting. I can't remember if I started crying in the car on the way there (it was 10 years ago) but I was definitely crying in the waiting room. My poor husband did his best to console me. I remember other people in the waiting room looking. I can't imagine what they must have thought we were there for. By the time they brought me back to the little room where it would be done, I was snotty and sobbing. Nurses were bringing me tissues. I was so embarrassed. And in the end... it was nothing. I dont recall if I had to put on a full hospital gown or not. I had to lay on my side curled up. A nurse was in front of me to make sure was still. She was very comforting and talked me through it. The doctor numbed the area three times. Each time a little deeper. I could feel some pressure but no pain. Then they said "Ok... we're all done". We went home and I laid down for the rest of the day to prevent a headache. Although I know now what it's like, I can't swear I wouldn't cry again. I'm not a good needle person. My husband (a mechanic by trade) has been my DMD shot nurse for the last 10yrs. I wish you peace with this. It will soon be behind you.
    Dx - Jan 2005
    1st Symptoms - Dec 2004
    Currently treatment - Tefidera (6/14) & LDN (4/09)
    Past treatments: Copaxone, Rebif, Avonex, Solumedrol IV, Prednisone

Comment

All of you are so lovely, sharing your experiences. I cannot express how much this means to me, and how helpful this is.

When I was 16 I had to have a blood draw for mono. It was my first draw, it sounded so creepy, and one nurse held my arm and another my shoulders to get it done. I wasn't trying to be difficult, it was just that kind of phobia. I was shaking and sobbing and I was a wreck. Now, while I don't like blood draws, it's no big deal. Same with shots--I never thought I could do them, then I had to do IVF, and where there is a will there is a way. I'm on Tec now, but was on Copaxone and Rebif and Avonex, and got through it. You do what you need to do.

I'm really hoping I never have enough LPs to make it normal, but KateM it is precisely your experience that I am trying not to have (and I appreciate you sharing that you understand!) because the procedure sounds creepy as h***, even though it will almost certainly be pretty quick and low on the pain-ometer. I am so sorry you had that experience, and I am so glad everyone was so kind.

I can do this. I have to do this. I will do this.

Comment

I didn't mind mine at all, but I trusted the radiologist doing the procedure. I trusted him so much, that when he couldn't get enough fluid in the lumbar area, I let him poke that needle through my neck to get fluid in the cervical region!

If I have to have another for some reason, back to that radiologist I'll go!

No valium, but I was drinking a ton of Dt. Dew at the time, so I was well hydrated, and had the caffeine covered!
        Brenda
        Adversity gives you two choices in life: either let it make you bitter, or let it make you better! I choose the latter.

Comment

Working...
        X