Heat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heat

I have read so many, many posts how the heat affects most MSers. I am cold all the time and cannot get enough heat. Is that strange to many of you? Just asking. I can tolerate it to the 80's. Maybe once I start on my treatment that will change. In Michigan today it's 52 degrees and I have the heat on.

Thanks for any input.

Susie

Diagnosed 6-28-14
    RRMS
    Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much. ~Helen Keller~

Not everyone with MS has heat intolerance, but it is common. If I am out in hot weather I get very tired and my bad leg is much weaker than usual.

At home, I keep the house around 68 degrees. If it were 56, I'd be cold and turning the heat on too!

Each one of us probably has our own heat/cold tolerance levels; do what's right for you. And I don't know if treatment with DMT's will change that - they are meant to prevent progression of your disease, but may not change your symptoms.

Comment

I wasn't heat intolerant for years after dx. It hit about 4 years ago and my body becomes useless when it gets warm
      dx 2002 rebif 2002-2013 Tecfidera 2013

Comment

Diamond, I have a terrible time with the cold. My right side goes cold and stiff; I can't maintain my overall body temp (drops to 95.4) and spend quite of bit of time in the winter taking hot baths. Really hot. (And they don't feel hot until I've been soaking for about ten minutes). I used to LOVE winter, set the house for 16 C and use the woodstove; now anything below 21 C and I'm struggling.

I don't have a dx so I have no idea if this is an ms kind of thing. It did start as the same time as my neurological symptoms did. And starting this March, the hot baths are turning me into overcooked spaghetti, so I guess heat may be an issue now too.

Comment

Originally posted by Diamond57 View Post
          I have read so many, many posts how the heat affects most MSers. I am cold all the time and cannot get enough heat. Is that strange to many of you? Just asking. I can tolerate it to the 80's. Maybe once I start on my treatment that will change. In Michigan today it's 52 degrees and I have the heat on.

Thanks for any input.

Susie
          Hi Susie,

I have no issues with heat (even some humidity) or climate changes, but react to chilly days or cold with serious spasticity issues. No heat issues due to exercise either, other than a normal fatigue.

My hands, especially right, are often cold but really bad during winter. Same with toes / feet.

And amazingly... I no longer sweat! So hydration need be addressed even though I'm not thirsty...!

FYI; senior M, good shape & on C since dx in '08. Guessing I've had MS since '97 (now that I know sx ... didn't then).

Jer

Comment

I must have hit the jackpot with both cold and heat intolerance. The sx's for each for the most part are different, but there is some overlap.

For instance I experience pain and occassional paralysis in my arms if they get cold, hot or using my arms repetitively, but my lower legs are always ice cold and painful.

I'm sure there are other people with both heat and cold intolerance.

Comment

My heat tolerance is higher, 90+. I always used to say, the heat makes me so sleepy and half pass out after a bath but I liked it. Cold I hate and my left leg gets stiff. My body temp also dips. 78-85 is an ideal range. Fortunately when I go back to FL a T storm comes along after it hits 85.

Comment

Thanks

Alot of good posts. Thanks a bunch. I thought I was the odd duck in the group. lol!

Susie

Diagnosed 6-28-14
                RRMS
                Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much. ~Helen Keller~

Comment

I live in the desert. If I can't get out early in the day to run one or two errands...forget it. The heat saps every ounce of energy I had. The rest of the day is shot.

Keeping the house nice and cool is both a blessing and a thorn in my side. The cool air hits me and instantly, my bladder empties. I have neuropathy over most of my body. Walking past the meat/dairy cases in the market does the same thing.

Most days I hate my life.

Comment

Working...
                  X