Body Systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Body Systems

It seems to me like during the loast two years most of my body systems have just quit. I am really curious how many others have had the same types of problems. First my bladder completely quit working. A year later my intestines quilt working.

The latest thing my left knee will not lock so I can't stand up. The knee which was a month ago just collasped on me. I was using my walker and it just went limp. I kept trying to straighten it out. It would not catch.

I could not even bend it or straighten it out. I was swaying from side to side then I got dizzy and fell to the ground. This has happened to me several times.

I know it all sounds crazy but it all has to be caused by MS. I know I shouldn't be surprised but I really wasn't expecting all of this this close together.

Are you sure this is all due to MS? It is very easy to attribute everything to MS once we have that diagnosis.

The knee problem sounds like it could be an orthopedic problem. I had similar symptoms and it turned out to be a torn meniscus, which was fixed with arthroscopic surgery.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "bladder and intestines" have quit working; there are many causes for such symptoms, and many possible treatments. Have you discussed these problems with your primary care doctor, and had any necessary testing/evaluation done?

We all get older and may tend to have more medical problems, and MS is by nature a progressive disease, but that doesn't mean there is no treatment for your problems.

Please talk with both your neuro and your primary about your concerns - they want to help you!

Comment

yes, yes, yes, I just told my dh last night that in another 1 or 2 my body will not work at all. He said please don't say that. I told him that's not my plan but, if I keep going at the rate I am now that's what's going to happen.

I have had a bad month with very weak, numb left leg, spasms so bad and painful in my back, the bowel and bladder issues are getting worse. Fatigue is unbearable and walking well from the recliner to the potty is far enough.

Yes, I take meds for lots of these issues and some help but, none take away the issues.

Not giving up just stating the facts.

Good luck to you!!!!!!
      DIAGNOSED=2012
      ISSUES LONG BEFORE
      REBIF 1 YEAR

Comment

Mercadies, I'm so sorry you (and 1936siols) are having all those problems.

I was recently having a lot of digestive issues and when I finally went to the gastroenterologist (hey, I'll just say "GI Guy"), it turned out my problem was an infection and it has responded well to antibiotics.

Yes I still have some underlying MS issues, but they are much better than before now that I've been treated. My family doctor had told me months earlier I should see the GI guy, but I delayed, thinking it was just another MS hassle. I was wrong about that.

Comment

Body Systems

Yes it is true it is easy to attribute all our ills to MS. It effects so many parts of our bodies and in so many ways. It effects us all differently.

I have a neurologist, urologist, and a gastrointerologist. I have visited the emergency room to many times. According to my doctors My system muscles are very weak and therefore unabale to push waste material through the body. I do have lots of trouble keeping things running smoothly.

Comment

Originally posted by 1936siols View Post
            I have a neurologist, urologist, and a gastrointerologist. I have visited the emergency room to many times. According to my doctors My system muscles are very weak and therefore unabale to push waste material through the body. I do have lots of trouble keeping things running smoothly.
            Same here. And to user "onlyairfare", no, medicines do not always fix these issues. My gyno/uro doc has the meds but they won't fix neuro caused problems.

Comment

Different body "systems" being affected by MS is what makes it sooo hard for me to manage. It seems exhausting just get fill the pill box. I've got more "ists" than I ever imagined I'd have, neurologist, urologist, physiatrist, cardiologist, nephrologist, physical therapist, opthamologist, uro-gynecologist and can't leave out the pump surgery, but he's just a plain old neuro surgeon, not an "ist." Gone are the days when I just had a GP.

I make fun and laugh because I tell folks my social calendar has nothing but dr. appts. on it. And a week when I don't have to see a dr. is a good week. But it's really pathetic.

The "system" problem crops up and the GP or neuro send me to the "ist" to figure out what's causing the problem. So I go through tests and more tests, and in every case, in the end, it just gets put back on the MS , and I'm given medication to handle that symptom.

I take that back about every case, last month my thumb started locking at the joint and was painful. I went to the orthopedist (another ist...but I only had to have one appt. with him. I had trigger thumb...and he "cured" it with a shot, and it actually got better. I had forgotten how that felt, to have a health issue and go to the dr. and actually get it "fixed."

Comment

Working...
              X