Neuropsych appt ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Neuropsych appt ?

Has anyone been to a neuropsych veal because of memory/concentration problems and been told they are just not getting enough rest. I had no tests yet - was told I am controlling and narcissistic because I think we have to grow our own food. And my dh sits there and nods his head ??? We can barely afford to live here and made this decision together years ago ? I was given a list of books to read about taming my psychic vampire and controlling the darkness within me?? I am a very peace loving person who could care less what anyone else wants to do with this place - but as long as my husband wants perfectly manicured gardens - I have to do what I can here. I am so confused

Sorry, I am not sure what is going on with the second part of your post -- if you are venting, asking advice, etc.?

Anyway as far as neuropsych testing, that isn't how it works. They break down the tests into various types which tests different cognitive abilities and then compare the results to the general popular of similar age, sex, education etc. as well as the MS population. They factor in fatigue, nervousness, etc. The test is usually a few hours which can be broken up into multiple days.

Then they'll meet with you to discuss scoring, any deficiences, strategies, etc.

You can read more about it here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuropsychological_test

Comment

It sounds like you had an evaluation by a Psychiatrist or Psychologist? You description doesn't sound like a NeuroPsych evaluation/testing. Psychiatrist and Psychologists do not do NeuroPsych evaluations/testing.

I have had NeuroPsych testing and had 3 separate appointments: Initial consult, Testing, Consult and discussion of findings.
      Diagnosed 1984
      “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

I'm sorry - I guess i was venting. I just don't understand. I've had neuropsych testing before and it was several hours of tests and then the comparison. This was two and a half hours of relentless telling me I'm doing everything wrong - she said I can't do the gardening (where we grow our food) or watch my grand baby when he's born. Said the garden will survive without me and I am being a narcissistic control freak trying to continue doing this. She made fun of my choice to eat a vegetarian diet saying she would eat my chickens when they stop laying. She even looked to my husband and said 'she says no to you a lot doesn't she?' And then he got in on it.

I have been wracking my brain trying to figure out where I am being so controlling - asking my kids who both said that is not me, it's their dad. Then I try to figure out how to do the things she is telling me to do - journal about how I am changing my controlling ways and read this list of Jungian psychiatry books.

How is this helping me with my memory and concentration?

Comment

Oh dear, do I FEEL for you! Enough eh?

Although we can all have a "blind side" and miss some things, basically we know ourselves pretty well. And our inner circle, be it family, friends or children know us too for the most part. So trust that personal instinct ok? And glad you came here to vent/question your treatment or..lack of.

I had a neuro psych testing, two of them. Started with interview, then testing, then met to discuss results. I was told I had conversion disorder. I could not believe that sitting down with the psychologist ( not the technician who conducted the tests) said I was having conversion disorder, along with some other things that clearly I did not. Even my primary doc was appalled.

Turns out, what she was calling conversion disorder were legitimate hypokalemic attacks along with some other disorders which resulted in total paralysis. I can see how she came to this conclusion, but no other MD treating me agreed. IN fact once treated for this rare kidney disorder, which can result in hypokalemic attacks, I am fine now and on meds for it..geesh..

ONLY psychologists trained to conduct such testing can perform and interpret them. NOT psychiatrists, or other psychologists not trained can do this kind of testing.

My contention about psychologists, who do one interview, interpret the testing, (which is their job and training) is that they do not spend enough time getting the whole picture. Yes, they are trained to make an educated, interpreted, professional "guess" which can be closely accurate but not always. Sometimes they are right on the "money" other times not even close.

And to side with your husband was unprofessional. To me, she should've raised the possibility as a question, not make such a blanket statement with him. I used to work in mental health and advocate for my clients/patients for this very reason. Again, trust your instincts.

I had a 2nd neuropych test and this psychologist took the time to learn about ALL my disorders and already had experience with my rare kidney disorder. Clearly she disagreed with the first test results. And she only saw me 2x. She was just more informed medically than the first tester.

Remember, its one test, one tester, and yes, trust your children's reaction. It would not hurt to seek out some therapy regarding this for support and to work through any issues you may be facing..if.. you would want to I mean. BUT make sure you do your research on such therapist and interview THEM in what their training, treatment goals and such. The Phd or other credentials behind their name does not mean they are properly trained in all issues, hardly.

Yes I agree we should grow our own foods or buy organic.

But I wonder what the dynamics are between you and your hubby who must seem superior having this psychologist agree with him...hmmm..

Keep us informed as we're here to support YOU!

Warmly, Jan
          I believe in miracles~!
          2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
          Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

I don't know you, them, if anything was misinterpreted, etc., but rather than get stressed out over this, maybe it is just better to find another evaluator.

Comment

Thank you Mjan - I am very happy you got a proper evaluation and the treatment you needed. It's very frustrating, isn't it? I am working through all of this, just trying to finish this book she has me reading right now that also is making no sense to me - Unholy Hungers: Encountering the Psychic Vampire in Ourselves.

They called to tell me I have a lab appt in August. I waited three months for this already. Unfortunately, I am stuck with this provider because she is the only one who does this at the only hospital I can go to with my insurance. Oddly enough, it is not some run down, backwoods place - but a three star teaching hospital where I used to work.

I get it that I don't manage my energy well and need to do better. I understand that, yea, I am still mad at myself for succumbing to MS - but not as mad as I was two years ago. I'm working on it

Thank you all - I'm just gonna finish this stupid book and move on to trying to schedule my days better - so I CAN have energy to keep the gardens going

Comment

Working...
              X