Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sudden imbalance/dizziness after long term...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sudden imbalance/dizziness after long term...

Anyone else have a sudden onset/increase feeling off-balance and dizziness after long term use of Xanax?

My rx is .5mgs 3x daily. I dislike the contridiction with MS fatigue, so I don't always take the full daily rx'd dose. I actually feel worse since starting xanax because of it's effect on fatigue and reduced activity, cognitive focus, etc.

The dizziness/imbalance just started yesterday? maybe the day before. After my morning dose today, it is much worse.

Hi MSW1963,

I'm not sure what you are calling long term.

I don't use Xanax but have been using Klonopin, which is in the same category as Xanax, since February 2004. My dosage has been as high as 1mg 3x a day. I currently take it only as needed.

The difference between what you take (Xanax) and what I take (Klonopin) is Klonopin is longer acting than Xanax.

Yes, Benzodiazepines can cause dizziness and lack of coordination. This is not something that is permanent but improves when not taking a Benzodiazepine.

I dislike the contridiction with MS fatigue
    The interesting thing about the fatigue aspect is I have 2 different reactions to Klonopin and I never know which one will happen.

(1) I will become more fatigued and need to sleep or
    (2) I will have less fatigue and more energy.

My prescribing Dr. (Psychiatrist) has said either of those reactions are normal.
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Although I'm not a fan of Xanax and especially not Xanax long term I would have to guess this is more likely a MS issue or something else rather than a new onset adverse reaction to the benzo if you have been taking it without incident for some time.
      He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
      Anonymous

Comment

SNOOPY & Jules A, thank you both for your responses. I've been taking xanax for approx. 2yrs now. I usually take as needed, meaning less than the daily dose.

SNOOPY, interesting that you can have both improved fatigue and increased fatigue with Klonopin. Some how it makes sense in a way only MS can.

Jules, you may be right about it being more likely MS related than a sudden adverse reaction to X.

Thanks again.

Comment

When I would have vertigo and call my neuro about it, they would prescribe a benzodiazepine.

Here's a link concerning vertigo, and they discuss the use of benzos in treating dizziness.

http://american-hearing.org/disorder...nt-of-vertigo/

After doing a couple months of specialized PT at a Balance Center, I was pleasantly surprised to find that my form of vertigo (benign paroxysmal positional vertigo) can actually be controlled with certain PT exercises. If you've never been tested to find out what kind of vertigo you have, I highly recommend it.

Neuros I've had in the past always assumed it was caused by my MS, but my present neuro sent me for Balance Therapy and they were the ones that tested for different kinds of vertigo.

Hoping your vertigo passes quickly or you find something to give you relief.

Comment

Originally posted by MSW1963 View Post
            Anyone else have a sudden onset/increase feeling off-balance and dizziness after long term use of Xanax?

My rx is .5mgs 3x daily. I dislike the contridiction with MS fatigue, so I don't always take the full daily rx'd dose. I actually feel worse since starting xanax because of it's effect on fatigue and reduced activity, cognitive focus, etc.

The dizziness/imbalance just started yesterday? maybe the day before. After my morning dose today, it is much worse.
            I also agree that it is your MS. I take a small dose of Valium daily to keep my chronic dizziness at bay (no ear issues), but I do have a pontine lesion that causes the problem. Sometimes out of the blue I get severe dizziness and problems with my balance. That is when I know I am having an exacerbation.

Call your neurologist and let them know what is going on. When you have been taking a benzo for a long time, it is unusual for a new symptom to pop up two years into treatment. But this is a conversation that you need to have with your neuro as they know best what all you are taking.

Best of luck
            Lisa
            Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
            SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
            Tysabri

Comment

Working...
            X