Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you think it's ok to double up my meds?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you think it's ok to double up my meds?

My neuro has recently increased my baclofen from 10 mg 2x a day to 20 mg 3x a day.

Lately, when I am on my feet for too long, the spasticity is beyond ridiculous. My legs basically just seize up and I'm in so much pain that I actually considered going to the ER. Right now I have the heating pad on them but get little to no relief.

I know I'm not a doctor and I would normally call if it wasn't late or on the weekend but do you think it's ok if I just dbl up on my baclofen for one dose? It can't be that bad right?
    Sx's 5/1996 Dx'd 9/2011
    RRMS- Betaseron, Copaxone, Tecfidera, Aubagio
    Hope is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune without words, and never stops at all

I'm no doctor and I know every body is different but I wouldn't do that without a doctors orders. There's got to be an emergency like at the office no? I mean if your considering the ER I'd say it's bad enough to wake up or dr or call on the weekend!

I do sure hope you feel better soon! I deal with leg pain a lot and feel really helpless about it at times but thankfully it eventually goes away and I forget about it til it comes back. I don't have ms or well am in limbo I guess but didn't even know that leg pain could be a part of it. I guess I'm afraid to google any way lol. Feel better soon. In my prayers. Everyone here is....

Comment

Hi alliesmommy,

I think the best advice is to call your doctor. Shouldn't matter if it's the weekend or late. He/ she is your doctor and if it's bad enough to consider the ER, it's definitely reason enough to call!

Hope you feel better soon!
      Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Originally posted by Kimba22 View Post
        Hi alliesmommy,

I think the best advice is to call your doctor. Shouldn't matter if it's the weekend or late. He/ she is your doctor and if it's bad enough to consider the ER, it's definitely reason enough to call!

Hope you feel better soon!
        I "second" this!!
        Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Comment

It's not a bad idea and my physician has actually recommended this at different times. I would not do it without conferring with your doc. They may have other / better ideas!
          GG

Comment

I'd say "no", but I'd probably do it anyway. That's me, and to be frank, I'm a bit mad. Do not stuff 'round with your medication.

If you really thought it was the right thing to do, you would be ringing your doctor, not asking us online.

Comment

I have been using baclofen for years, and have increased my pills(20 mg) from 2 per day to 4.5-5 per day. Sometimes I only need a half pill, depends on my legs spacitify. No pain.
              I originally asked my Neuro, with no problem, but I take as needed now that I know what works best for me.

I'd run it by your Doc first.

Comment

First of all, I am sorry you are going through such a tough time right now. I can understand why you want to double up meds, but eventually you'll run out of the med as prescribed before your insurance would approve your next month's dose. The pharmacist needs a doctor's orders to make any changes of dose/frequency.

For example since certain times or times of day I may need more Baclofen, my RX is 4x a day, 10 mg but I can take 2 at a time with only 2 remaining for the day if I do double up. But that is figured into my doctor's orders on Baclofen.

Also try to find other ways to help besides upping your dose/frequency of Baclofen. What I have been doing is stretching more, gently, and then exercise on my Giselle to get the blood flowing and reduce any inflammation/pain.

So I agree with others, talk to your doctor via his/her nurse who triages all phone calls.

Let us know what happens and hope you feel better soon.

Jan
                I believe in miracles~!
                2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
                Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

Agree

I agree with the above posters, including MJan, with one exception. You still need to run it past your doctor first. Taking to much baclophen at one time, even if u have been on it for years could slow your breathing down and make u really sleepy.

Always run things like that through your doctor first. There is always someone on call even on weekends, evenings, and holidays. They may not be familiar with your case, but, you can tell them how much baclophen you are on, and for how long.
                  God Bless and have a good day, Mary

Comment

Kelm10 I DO have permission from doctor to double ONE dose if needed (usually when I first get up) which is why RX reads 4x a day. Instead of increasing the dose to 20 mg she said I could take (2) 10mg IF I needed it.

I rarely double it though as I cannot tolerate most meds w/o feeling spacing and off balance LOL.

Jan
                    I believe in miracles~!
                    2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
                    Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

Working...
                    X