Study - Why Do More Women Have MS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Study - Why Do More Women Have MS?

A newly identified difference between the brains of women and men with multiple sclerosis (MS) may help explain why so many more women than men get the disease, researchers at Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis report. The research found higher levels of a blood vessel receptor protein called S1PR2 in both female mice and women who were vulnerable to MS. What's more, S1PR2 was even higher in the parts of the brains of the women and mice that MS usually affects.

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releas...-she050614.php

WASHU (Washington University) is a stellar research University. Thanks for the link
    Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Comment

OK good research is always welcome...

That said, then WHY do males in the US military have not only higher rates of MS than non vets, but men in the military also have higher rates than women?

Gomer

Comment

Originally posted by gomer View Post
        OK good research is always welcome...

That said, then WHY do males in the US military have not only higher rates of MS than non vets, but men in the military also have higher rates than women?

Gomer
        This is actually not all true. The initial findings of the Gulf War MS Cohort, which I happen to be a part of, showed military women of all races were to three times more likely to develop MS than their male counterparts.

African Americans were more likely to develop MS than any other Race...which is contrary to many studies.

Military Personnel overall had a significantly much higher propensity to develop MS vs. the civilian population. 10 people per 100,000 vs. 4 per 100,000. This is exceptionally significant.

This is the first military study for MS done with women fully integrated into all branches. Air Force had the highest rate followed by the Army.

I have attached a link to the study. http://brain.oxfordjournals.org/cont.../1778.abstract
        Katie
        "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
        "My MS is a Journey for One."
        Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Working...
        X