Tremors getting worse...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tremors getting worse...

I've been having tremors now for several months. It started out as slight shaking/tremors in my hand or in my leg or both but now I feel it through my whole body. Sometimes the shaking/tremor is so bad that I can not hold food on a utensil or even write. This can go on for several hours or all day. I have Ativan to take that helps some but doesn't last.

I was wondering if anyone else suffers with something similar and if so what medication helps you? Would a muscle relaxer help better than Ativan? I'm getting pretty desperate to make it stop! Thanks!
    RRMS diagnosed 10/2011
    Rebif since 2012, Vitamin D 4000IU

ruthr,

Before I was diagnosed, I noticed some bad tremors of my hands. That was about 4 months leading up to my diagnosis, and I had not thought about it until I read your post. After diagnosis, I noticed shaking hands when I was having a "bad MS day", but they would go away. They still resurface then go away. Suppose that is the "waxing and waning" of this stupid disease.

Not sure if my response helps you at all. I hope it does, but you should tell your neurologist about it, as some meds can help alleviate it (Gabapentin/Neurontin).
    Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Comment

Hi ruthr,

So sorry to hear this. I will get what known as intention tremors. Tremors can be hard to treat, but there are different options. Maybe a different drug or combination of treatments will be more effective. I hope you find something(s) that will help get yours under better control.

From the NMMS Society:

Treating tremor

Tremor is considered by physicians and other health professionals to be one of the most difficult symptoms to treat. To date, there have been no reports of consistently effective drugs for tremor. Varying degrees of success have been reported with agents such as:

the anti-tuberculosis agent, isoniazid (INH);
      the antihistimines Atarax® and Vistaril® (hydroxyzine);
      the beta-blocker Inderal® (propranolol);
      the anticonvulsive medication Mysoline® (primidone);
      a diuretic Diamox® (acetazolamide); and
      anti-anxiety drugs Buspar® (buspirone) and Klonopin® (clonazepam).

Weights and other devices can also be attached to a limb to inhibit or compensate for tremors. An occupational therapist is the health professional who can best advise about assistive devices to aid in the management of tremor.

More recently, deep brain stimulation (using electrodes implanted surgically into various brain areas) has been shown to be effective for the management of tremor in Parkinson's disease. This has also been tried in people with MS (with varying degrees of success) although, at the moment, this therapeutic approach should be regarded as experimental.

Controversy continues over the role of alcohol or tetrahydro-cannabinol (THC), the active ingredient in marijuana, in treating tremor. Only small studies have been done, characterized by conflicting results. Marijuana remains a controlled substance under current policies of the U.S. Drug Enforcement Agency.

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/Sym...ymptoms/Tremor

Good luck,
      Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

I developed tremors after my car accident three years ago. They became so bad one night my husband had to put the toothpaste on my toothbrush for me and my physiotherapist would gently hold my legs as they jerked while I did my Pilates!

I tried medicinal marijuana last September, and I don't have to worry about tremors any more! I wasn't expecting this affect, but very pleased when we realized that using the MJ was the reason.

Comment

Yes to tremors

Wanted to weight in. I also (like one poster that replied-in fact our stories on this sound similar) had tremors in both hands fairly bad prior to my diagnosis. I couldn't do simple things and it effect me quite a bit and was very noticeable. Couldn't hold a spoon, fork, etc. to eat, couldn't put on mascara, turning a page, things like that I was still doing at work-it because noticeable to others which was impossible to hide. Use to worry that people thought I was nervous when I was't. Had tremors pretty much all over my body. I.E., couldn't hold my little niece because my arms would get weak and tremor. My legs would tremor, i.e., I had a habit of blow drying my hair with my hand pointing to the ground and rested my elbow on my leg. My legs would tremor violently. These were all essential tremors which get worse upon movement.

Mine also went away a few years ago but come back from time to time when I am weakest, etc. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
          X