Weight loss anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weight loss anyone?

I was wondering if MS ever causes weight loss. I have other problems such as Graves Disease ( thyroid ) which causes this but my Endo doesn't seem to think mine is doing this to me. So I'd like to hear from anyone who is noticing a weight loss for no reason.

I've had a lot of tests and no apparent reason for losing these pounds. I do have IBS and can't always eat much so that could also be working here.
    Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Weight Loss

I've had autoimmune diseases (lupus & MS) for years and have always had trouble losing weight due to prednisone. However I had a colostomy 2 years ago due to perforated diverticulitis and I lost 45 pounds in less than a year without trying. I have had IBS since the colostomy was reconnected -- the weight stayed low until recently where I gained 5 pounds back. Dieting now to see if I can get it back off to give my knees a break, but it isn't coming off easy

Comment

I lost 10 lbs in the past year and we aren't sure if it is muscle loss or not as all my bloodwork is stellar and I am not sickly. Digestion seems fine, etc.

I don't have the weight to spare so I am consciously eating more to gain weight.

Comment

I wish NO such luck for me, just gain.
        Brenda
        Adversity gives you two choices in life: either let it make you bitter, or let it make you better! I choose the latter.

Comment

Graves Disease

is an overactive thyroid which can certainly cause weight loss. I had it years ago and was able to eat like there was no tomorrow. Once my thyroid became underactive, it became a different story. Now just looking at food makes me gain weight!

Comment

I have lost over 20 pounds since I started taking Aubagio a year ago. I don't know if this is a side effect or not but I look better. I have only been dx with MS for a year and a half so I am not sure if it is the meds or the stress of the dx.

Comment

I have hypothyroid disease along with the MS and other crap. had most of it under control, but last year when they started giving me steroids I blew up.

I hate that you keep losing.

I hate I keep gaining.

This is crazy.
              DIAGNOSED=2012
              ISSUES LONG BEFORE
              REBIF 1 YEAR

Comment

Originally posted by mercadies25 View Post
                I have hypothyroid disease along with the MS and other crap. had most of it under control, but last year when they started giving me steroids I blew up.

I hate that you keep losing.

I hate I keep gaining.

This is crazy.

I have Graves and have had RAI to kill the thyroid. Been on Synthroid for 3 years but have still lost weight. I am hanging between 87 and 89 lbs. I am only 4ft 9 in, but this is still not acceptable. Guess this is NOT a MS issue. Thanks.
                Marti

Comment

marti, I hear ya. My ideal weight was anywhere between 105-110 lbs and now I am 95 lbs. Just bought a scale and adding in extra snacks at night.

Comment

Originally posted by misslux View Post
                    marti, I hear ya. My ideal weight was anywhere between 105-110 lbs and now I am 95 lbs. Just bought a scale and adding in extra snacks at night.

I wonder if it could be some of our meds. Why doesn't this seem to worry our doctors??
                    Marti

Comment

It does worry my doctors. They all want me to up my caloric intake and retest everything in a few months if I haven't gained any weight.

Comment

If anything, the exact opposite because I don't do near as much physically because of MS.

My guess is Thyroid. My MIL was practically skeletal until she got her Thyroid treated and then became a normal weight (which she hated because she enjoyed being thin, albeit not a healthy thin). I could be fat eating nothing but water crescents and sucking air!
                        Tawanda

Comment

I've had my thyroid checked multiple times. Everything comes back normal.

Comment

They DO believe my weight loss is related...

I haven't had anything to say for a really long time here- then I saw THIS!

"Speculation" is that MS is the cause, as in "possibly" whatever brain areas are affected, "maybe" the area that tells one they are hungry or it's time to eat was knocked out? OR the area that controls gain and retention was knocked out? OR...OR...

I won't go into ancient history but my weight problems (enormous loss for no apparent reason and inability to gain since)started in 1995 or 96. There's a huge blank there that is now assumed to be a first MAJOR exacerbation. I went from my normal healthy weight of about 140 on a 5'8 frame to about 95- grotesquely skeletal. It took about two years to get back over 100 and keep it. Now nearly 20 years later (I can't believe I've been living like this almost 20 years!) I fluctuate between 105 and 114. It's a massive struggle!

Believe me, you name it, I've been tested for it, repeatedly, including HIV/AIDS even though I have no "risk factors" to try to find a reason. Also including "scooping poop" to see if I picked up a parasite somewhere.

I'm sorry you're dealing with this. It's so frustrating! I truly hope someone finds an answer for all of us lightweights, anybody that has out of control weight really.

** Moderator's note - Post broken into paragraphs for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print. **

Comment

WillyNilly, that sounds awful!

I've started tracking my weight since I last posted and it is less than I thought -- 91 lbs. I'm 5'2" so I don't looj TOO bad but definitely underweight. Ugh.

I ordered some VEGA brand protein powder and going choke it down in smoothie form for breakfast with added fats (raw nuts and raw coconut oil).

It is a real struggle and there are real health risks involved including breaking something if I fall because of lack of padding/body fat.

Comment

Working...
                              X