The start of growing spasticity?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The start of growing spasticity?

Prior to now, my only problem with spasticity had been the occasional wicked feet or toe cramps. However now for the past few months, I have had increasing stiffness when moving from a still position to standing/walking. I notice it most getting up from meals, or when on sofa w/ feet up on the ottoman for a while. When I make the move to standing, my feet are very stiff and it takes me more than a few steps to work out the stiffness/get to a normal gait. Is this the beginning of increased spasticity?

Did others start out in this pattern? Did you not progress to further spasticity or did you get worse? I'm realizing that I need to move more often and move my feet under the table while eating and stretch/move while on the sofa- does anything else help? I'd sort of like to stay away from adding a new med if there are other things I can do instead.

Hi macarolina,

I'm sorry you are having this problem. Spasticity is a big thing for a lot of us.
    I have spasticity in my thighs and it started just like yours and progressed just as yours has.
    I spoke to my neuro about it and he has increased my baclofen dosage and also had me going to aqua therapy which I must say has helped because I can do more in the water than on land.
    I'd like to tell you that stretching will help but in my experience it just doesn't. I think it's just our nerves got squirrelly from the lesions. Good Luck!
    Sx's 5/1996 Dx'd 9/2011
    RRMS- Betaseron, Copaxone, Tecfidera, Aubagio
    Hope is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune without words, and never stops at all

Comment

I'm so glad you asked this...

My feet are very sensitive to cramping up and it seems to be more frequent and my calves and hips also feel tight when I get up after sitting for awhile. I have no other real spasticity issues but I've wondered about this too.

Comment

Hi macarolina...

IMHO stretching not only helps but I feel is overlooked and replaced too often by scripts.

Stretching is basically Yoga (I'm sure the purist will be all over me... sorry!) and can be done on many levels.

Aqua-therapy offers both support & resistance (stretching!)... a great form of exercise. All exercise is good for you regardless of how little you may feel you can do. Any is better than none.

I have pretty severe spasticity in right limbs and know I would be far worse without stretching, working out and the loss of tension resulting from taking some form of physical responsibility. Simple fact.

Jer

Comment

Working...
        X