Should I have a cane just in case?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I have a cane just in case?

I'm newly diagnosed, and while I have occasional leg issues (jello legs or numbness), I haven't yet had anything severe enough to make walking difficult.

My first symptom, vertigo, came on very suddenly. Is it possible that I would suddenly need a walking aid? Or would difficulty walking come on more gradually, where eventually I would need assistance, but not all of a sudden?

I have some long trips planned this year and was thinking it may be a good idea to pack a folding cane just in case?

I think you should see a physical therapist, even if its just for an evaluation to see how your walk is. They can show you the correct way to walk with a cane (yes there is one), and will tell you if they think you need one for long distances or not right now, or even just for vertigo. These guys are the best professionals at doing this stuff.

I hope things work out for you.

Take care,
    Lisa
    Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
    SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
    Tysabri

Comment

I can relate to being newly diagnosed and wondering what assistance you are going to need, I had a lot of numbness and if I was overtired, legs would get weak.
      I was looking at hiking sticks in the sporting goods store thinking they were neat.....I have not needed any assistive device or cane thank goodness.

If I was hit with vertigo, (which I do have) I'm down on the ground, no cane would help me be upright. If yours is less severe and you'd feel more confident having something just in case, go ahead.

Numbness is very common, and not necessarily a sign that you will lose walking ability or balance down the road. Hope you are lucky like me to stay upright!

Comment

Today, I just a rollator- rolling walker- for stability. I only use it when needed.

My dr said a cane would make my balance issues more difficult and I'd go toppling right over.

So depending on your specific needs, a walking device can be a BFF and help you move right along someone else mentioned same topic, and why make life harder for ourselves. It's not giving in to MS, it's beating MS- we WILL get through this til there's a cure.
        There is always a rainbow!

Comment

I agree with 22cyclist about seeing a PT who can tell you the best device to use and teach you how to use it properly. Even with a rollator, there is a proper and safe way to use one.

Comment

At some point, a cane is more trouble than it's worth. I can't hold a litre bottle of milk without a lot of concentration.

None of us want that rollator, or wheelie walker as we call them down here.

To be honest, I would be far more comfortable in a nice motorised wheelchair. But, oh no, not me, I'll be clinging to that wall like a lizard until the last.

Pride? Stupidity? Probably sheer fear that once you make that move, there ain't never no coming back. (Watching Justified at the moment.)

Comment

I use a cane when I'm outside, but not at work. My theory is that crutches and wheelchairs = brave person taking on challenges, but canes and rollators = old. That's not what I think, but in the world of work, being a woman over 50 can be hazardous to your employment.

But the cane does keep me on course a little better, and keeps me from staggering down a sidewalk that clears when people see me and think I'm crazy or drunk!
              PPMS
              Dx 07/13

Comment

just in case

I get the worry and for my sister we have collected several devices over the years as needed quickly as the need arose.

You can buy a nice four prong cane in any pharmacy. If you find you need something on your travels you will be able to find it when needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Thinkimjob View Post
                  At some point, a cane is more trouble than it's worth. I can't hold a litre bottle of milk without a lot of concentration.

None of us want that rollator, or wheelie walker as we call them down here.

To be honest, I would be far more comfortable in a nice motorised wheelchair. But, oh no, not me, I'll be clinging to that wall like a lizard until the last.

Pride? Stupidity? Probably sheer fear that once you make that move, there ain't never no coming back. (Watching Justified at the moment.)
                  OMG...I had to check and make sure I didn't "sleep-type" this last night as the Australian version of myself!

I have never gotten over needing glasses...and regret getting that first pair when my eyes were still relatively good. Every year since then, I have needed a stronger and stronger ones. It feels that "giving in" the first time for glasses led me into these bifocal nightmares I am in today (paid extra for no lines, of course!).

My Mom also went from a cane to a fulltime W/C with her MS in no time flat...or perhaps it just seemed that way to us, I don't know. I don't care what anyone thinks. Until I am actually endangering others, I WILL be that big lizard on the wall.

As to the original poster. You are so new to this. Perhaps you are jumping the gun??? It took me a while to get a feel for having M.S., and since we all have our own individual variation of it, nobody, not even your doctor knows what YOU need to do for YOU. It takes some getting used to, being your own healthcare advocated, but I would highly advise it.

I am no Physical Therapist, or even a paid-spokesperson, but I do believe that Pilates and Yoga have worked miracles for my balance. My resulting core strength is probably better than before M.S. Once, I start slipping on ice, it's as if anti-lock brakes are kicking in inside my hip joints (plus underneath this roll of flab I'm sure there is a six-pack brewing).

Good luck, and welcome to the club that nobody ever wants to join.!
                  Tawanda

Comment

Thanks everyone!!

I've been doing yoga since before diagnosis, and based on all I've read I will continue with that. My favorite instructor even did some MS research and recommended some different things to keep me cooler (and she runs the AC when I'm in class).

I'll remember the PT recommendations should I get ready for a walking aid!

Comment

Working...
                    X