Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

US Office Work - why functional capacity exam

Hi all,

Are there different types of functional capacity exams depending on type of work you do? Everything I read is physical evaluation. I don't see how that helps determine if I can do my job when I already am a sedentary office worker and by education, would also be classified as such.

I have had neuropsych testing which at different times, showed different weakness. In itself, I am not impaired. But both neuro and meuropsych feel results support my inability to sustain.

I don't understand what good a test of physical endurance will do?

Any insights?

Thanks.
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Well, it might be useful. Maybe not now, but one day.

I know you sit all day, so do I; even sitting in a chair is kind of physically exhausting, which no one, me included, would have believed.

Not to mention the fifty metre horror lurch to the lavatory.

The whole "working nine to five, it's all taking and no giving", that's me.

She's cool.

Comment

measures all kinds of things

The functional capacity exam is a combination of physical therapy exams along with occupational therapy.

Some of the things that it will measure is grasping, pinching, and repetitive desk items that you do. There is hand strength that needs to be measured.

You need to walk to your desk (unless you use a scooter or wheel chair.) You may need to stoop to pick items up off the floor.

Is there anything in your job description that you are not able to perform? I did this myself recently. I reviewed my job description, because, my LTD company is reviewing it.

I am on disability with SSDI and through my LTD company. But, I also work about 4 hours per week. I had never reviewed my job description, but, knew as of right now I can do my job for the 4 hours per week and my employer needs me for the hours. If they wanted to they could release me, because, I could not meet the actual job requirements. So, review your job description, to see if there is other things that a functional capacity exam may cover that you did not think about.
      God Bless and have a good day, Mary

Comment

I think at one time SSA emphasis was directed to returning unskilled, low wage earners to some level of employment. During this time, when employment was high and there were lots of manufacturing jobs, professionals and para-professionals had an easier go of it in the SSDI evaluation process, better documented private insurance records to support claims, etc.

There appears to be lots of changes taking place, leveling the SSDI playing field for all who file a claim, particularly since losing manufacturing jobs and the payroll taxes related to those jobs.

As the technology and treatment for MS evolves, SSDI has evolved with respect to professionals and para professionals with MS as primary dx. with disability claims. A MS dx's is give more scruitny than in the past by SSDI as the technology has evolved and earlier dx's and treatment.

I don't think everyone is where they need to be just yet, Neuros or SSA. Neuros are 'getting there' when it comes to recognizing fatigue and cognitive impairment even in MS'rs with limited physical disability but with major fatigue and/or cognitive issues.

Everyone seems to be on a learning curve, with higher claims and the threat of SS funding problems, baby boomers, lower income job market., etc. I think.

Comment

Thanks for the responses. My LTD insurer labeled my job as cognitively intense. I was either in meetings, on computer, or designing systems. The office was paper free- everything stored on network servers. I could do my job from home too.

So I think it is more what MSW said - the tests haven't really caught up to cognitive fatigue issues. The only piece applicable would be seeing how I type on laptop to make sure correct posture and not contributing to fatigue.

But I guess if they want it, I have no choice. I just worry since physical does not cause me as much fatigue as cognitive.

Thanks again.
          Kathy

Comment

Thanks for the responses. My LTD insurer labeled my job as cognitively intense. I was either in meetings, on computer, or designing systems. The office was paper free- everything stored on network servers. I could do my job from home too.

So I think it is more what MSW said - the tests haven't really caught up to cognitive fatigue issues. The only piece applicable would be seeing how I type on laptop to make sure correct posture and not contributing to fatigue.

But I guess if they want it, I have no choice. I just worry since physical does not cause me as much fatigue as cognitive.

Thanks again.
            Kathy

Comment

Working...
            X