The Spoon Theory...how to explain life with a chronic illness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Spoon Theory...how to explain life with a chronic illness

I'm not sure if anyone has posted this here yet...nor do I remember the rules about posting links (sorry, mods...cog fog, I swear!)....but in the last few years, they thought I had something like lupus.

I hate trying to explain what life is like...no one "gets" it. But this woman came up with a way to describe it (for lupus) but it works in any chronic illness situation.
    http://www.butyoudontlooksick.com/wp...-spoon-theory/

I also came up with my own version of The spoon theory, but it's for people in Limbo, it's called "The Spork Paradox". Here's the link to my blog....
    Insanity is doing the same thing over and over then expecting a different result
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death" -Earl Wilson

I have seen this before but never had the patience to read it all, probably never will.
    Suspected MS 1985. dx 1994 still RRMS EDSS 1.0

Comment

Originally posted by Katje View Post
      I have seen this before but never had the patience to read it all, probably never will.
      It's worth a 'spoon' to read it!

Thank you for posting that article, I'm going to share and try to explain it to people that way too. When I have spoons available, that is.
      There is always a rainbow!

Comment

Love the spoon theory. I've sent it to people in the past and it explains things so well!

Comment

Originally posted by Katje View Post
          There's a video on that site, too....she reads the Spoon Theory to you (in her NYC accent)
          Insanity is doing the same thing over and over then expecting a different result
          "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death" -Earl Wilson

Comment

I like it too. Sometimes when I want to explain to someone why I can't fit the thing they think I should do into my life, I say:
            Every last one of my house plants are dead because watering them was one extra chore I no longer have energy for. So if you think I should do X, then please tell me what the Y is that you'd like me to give up. Having clean clothes? Bathing? What?
            PPMS
            Dx 07/13

Comment

Working...
            X