Nerve Conduction Study

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nerve Conduction Study

I'm having an EMG and nerve conduction study. Dr. suspects MS. I don't understand what this type of test is for. I guess I should have talked with my dr about that. My bad. Has anyone had one of these and know what it might show. I have googled it but haven't seen anything mentioned about this test and ms.

The EMG is part of the diagnostic process for quite a few different conditions.

I have googled it but haven't seen anything mentioned about this test and ms.
    An EMG is not part of the diagnostic criteria for the diagnosis of MS. However, part of the diagnostic process is to rule in/out other causes for a patients symptoms.

If your EMG comes up positive then MS very well may not be the cause for your symptoms.

If you scroll down this link you will find the many different conditions that a positive EMG might indicate:
    http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/003929.htm
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Mildly uncomfortable at times, bring a hat- you will go home with gunk in your hair- the gunk improves the conduction. Don´t plan on going anywhere right after if you have hair as it will look like a kindergartener tried to apply gel haphazardly.
      It measures how well your nerves conduct impulses- if missing myelin, the electrical signal does not get sent efficiently. They will at times tell you not to move and then send a mild electrical zap through you making you want to apply a mild zap to the technician and request that he or she try not moving while being zapped. Go with a sense of humor. It takes a while- be patient.

Comment

Originally posted by Temagami View Post
        Mildly uncomfortable at times, bring a hat- you will go home with gunk in your hair- the gunk improves the conduction. Don´t plan on going anywhere right after if you have hair as it will look like a kindergartener tried to apply gel haphazardly.
        Hi Temagami,

Are you thinking of the EEG? An EMG is different.

Information about an EEG:
        http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/003931.htm
        Diagnosed 1984
        “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Snoopy is right an EEG (brainwaves) is the test where you have glue in your hair.

I have had EMG tests and always do my labor breathing. I use this breathing so I don't tighten up (out of fear of pain) and it does hurt.

Whenever I am going to have a shot, draw blood, or have any test, including going to dentist for anesthetic.

You breath slowly, deliberately through the nose and out through the mouth, very very slowly with your lips parted and teeth separated, not touching. It works!!

I had EMGS of both my arms, both my legs and they were positive. Carpal tunnel in both hands? was the result and radiculopathy from my spinal stenosis for my legs. Neither results are related to MS. Still think my arm results ARE related!!

Good luck, Jan
          I believe in miracles~!
          2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
          Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

EEG, EMG, Nerve Conduction- Glue in my hair, glue on my body hair. But the worst one was the glue on my body at one wire and a needle on a the other wire. (that one kinda sucked)
            I think the nerve conduction test is the needle on a wire if I remember correctly. Sorry.

Comment

Saltatory conduction right? The ability of the electrical impulses to make those long jumps from node to node...not sure what acronym is correct or what hair gel you get to go home with.

Good luck.

Comment

OH and I messed up. I meant to say when I do my "labor" type breathing (not for labor only) I DON'T feel anything.

Jan
                I believe in miracles~!

Comment

Results

Had my tests. They said everything appeared normal. Told my wife it's hard to understand nothing is showing up. It's like the straw that breaks the camels back. I look back at a month ago, six months ago, a year ago and three years ago and I am slowly getting weaker and weaker. I stumble around just a little, but very noticeable to me. Each day it's like another straw is added and I can feel it. The docs don't see anything, but I'm waiting for the moment I fall down or can't stand up. I caught a cold yesterday and now I'm in bed with a fever. I never used to get sick or even think about my health, but now it's on my mind all the time because I feel so strange. The gabopinen they gave me for pain in my legs is doing nothing now and it feels like a hot plate has been set on the inside of my thigh. I suspect I also have a prostrate infection (this will be my 2nd in 5 months). Had an MRI 2 weeks ago but have to wait till April 1 to find the results. Strange set up, the MRI office is next door, in the same building, to my doc, but they give me the MRI on a cd to take to my appointment. I now the docs do their best and have a big load to deal with, but this process is so slow.

Comment

Sorry for your disappointment, but I understand it.

If you look back at my earlier response, I had 2 EMGs both positive but NOT for MS.

When you say you are getting weaker do you mean like more tired? Unable to walk ? Or are your arms, legs weaker? What I am trying to decipher is whether it is generalized weakness or muscle weakness.

Sorry too that you are having these infections. Does your primary know? Is anyone treating for these?

These symptoms may have nothing to do with MS, and they may. BUT clearly something is wrong.

Even though you got a copy of your CD, your doctor will be faxed the Radiologist's report. YOU can also get a copy of this report. The CD of your MRI may not make any sense to you anyway. But take it to apt so Neuro can load it to his computer.

I always get copies of all my medical records. So sign a release and get a copy of this report. That way you can see what "impressions" the radiologist has, but no way is this the final diagnosis. The diagnosis comes only from the treating NEURO or doctor who ordered the test/MRI.

Get a copy of the report and come back on here.

Sorry you are sick right now. I have MS (and other disorders) and I never get sick..not even a cold.

Let us know how you are doing and will support you.

Warmly, Jan
                    I believe in miracles~!

Comment

Weakness

I went thru a period of what I call extreme fatigue about 2 years ago. That is what first directed my doc to send me to a neuro. I call it fatigue because it isn't like I was tired from not enough sleep. It was more like my "battery" ran out of charge and I didn't have the strength to lift my arms up. That comes and goes still, but I think I've learned to manage it by not overdoing it, but still deal with that on a daily basis.

My most extreme symptoms lately is pain in my legs. I have steady weakness in them and can't stand to be on them even for a couple of minutes before it becomes uncomfortable. I can do it, but I feel unsteady and I have a lot of pain with it. It has become so sever I have given up ushering at church both because I'm afraid I might fall in front of everyone and because of the pain that comes on later takes me 2 days to recover from.

This is a complete list of my problems, but hits the highlights. My hands are so weak right now as well that typing on this ipad awkward.

Comment

Working...
                      X