Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anything, at all, good about this Ms thing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anything, at all, good about this Ms thing?

Yes, no. Not "at least it's not a brain tumour", but there has to be something positive.
    My fear of death, for instance, has evaporated.

I used to be a positive, happy person. Now I am very negative most of the time.

I think the negative attitude that I have has really brought out the very positive attitude of my children.

They are absolutely so helpful and generous. They are so loving and caring. I think that's the way they always were, but if I did not have MS they would be more into their own lives if that makes any sense.

I still HATE, HATE, HATE this crappy disease!!!!!!!!
    DIAGNOSED=2012
    ISSUES LONG BEFORE
    REBIF 1 YEAR

Comment

Good question ...

First positive...While looking for lesions in my brain they found a very large tumor on my pituitary gland. If not for my MS, I would not have known until the tumor blinded me (which they say probably would have happened within the year). Getting rid of that tumor fixed a whole lot of hormone related problems I had been dealing with for almost 7 years....Yay, I lost the tumor and 60lbs! My physical self esteem has been restored!

The other positive is that MS is teaching me to RELAX....I am a type A personality. ALWAYS making lists, organizing, planning, on the go and getting stuff done. Now I can't and I am learning that it's OK to let it go (this is still a work in progress). The world is not going to end if the floor doesn't get vacuumed today or if all the errands don't get done. I have to live more in the moment...and make decisions of what I feel I can accomplish moment to moment.

Deep breathes...Let it go...Do what you can and save the rest for another day
      RRMS Diagnosed Halloween 2013
      Betaseron

Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend....never owned a dog

Comment

Thinkimjob, you are all further along in the MS journey than I am and I know you have been having a hard time lately. One positive thing MS has done for me is to not take things for granted anymore and I do things that I would not have done in the past because I know that I can loose the ability to do those things at any time.

I had my first relapse a little over a ago which overnight left me unable to see, unable to hold my baby, numb from my chin down on the left, unable to lift my left hand up, foot drop, and barely able to walk. Today I still have symptoms but they are manageable and nothing close to how bad it got.

An example of this, last year, a week before my attack I attended a party with my husband and even though I love to dance I refused to dance with him because I am a terrible dancer and they had the lights too bright. Last night we attended the same party and I danced with my husband without a care in the world. It was a great night although I am still recovering from it.

I think I have seen you mention you had several good years after your diagnosis before your MS good really bad. I hope I have the same and plan to enjoy every minute of my life while my MS is still manageable.

I enjoy reading your comments and really hope things improve for you. Take care.

Comment

Originally posted by Thinkimjob View Post
          My fear of death, for instance, has evaporated.
          I know this is meant to be funny... but it's true! The ONLY thing that's even close to ok about MS is not being able to work (that's not the good thing) = spending more time with my dog.

Sorry it's not much, I really had to reach far and wide to find even one thing. I hope I read some better posts!

Thanks for posting this,
          Jen
          RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
          "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

I too have no fear of Death. None...

One good thing about MS is it has caused me to slow down. I used to be a runner...and I did everything fast. I have found it amazing how much one misses because they are walking too fast. I now have the opportunity to "stop and smell the roses" literally.

The day is more meaningful when you take it slow and allow yourself to see the beauty that surrounds you.
            Katie
            "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
            "My MS is a Journey for One."
            Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

I haven't found anything good about living with this nasty disease. I wish that I could.

Comment

Originally posted by KatieAgain View Post
                I too have no fear of Death. None...

One good thing about MS is it has caused me to slow down. I used to be a runner...and I did everything fast. I have found it amazing how much one misses because they are walking too fast. I now have the opportunity to "stop and smell the roses" literally.

The day is more meaningful when you take it slow and allow yourself to see the beauty that surrounds you.
                Katie, I agree.

Also, I have met many wonderful people I wouldn't have, had I not been so blessed,,,,,,, with MS.

Comment

I got closer to God and I look foward to walking in heaven without assistance.
                  God Bless Us All

Comment

Numb leg bonus...

Well, you can leverage your Uthoff's syndrome to make your legs go numb as you overheat during a 5k race, making you a better racer, like the girl in today's New York Times article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/04/sp...ml?rref=sports

Comment

The intangibles and variables associated with MS just suck. That said and for what it's worth - my focus has never been keener.

Comment

Some silver linings for me:

- I have met some great people with disabilities at rehab and/or groups that I never would have met otherwise

- I am much more informed and aware of issues for PWDs (all types) and really becoming interested in advocacy

- It has put things into perspective as far as what matters and what doesn't in life

- Has made me appreciate my family and friends much much more

- Have learned SO many coping tools in therapy that would have benefited me when I was able-bodied too (e.g., no longer scared of becoming single, etc.)

I am sure there are more too.

Of course I don't want to have MS, but I do and there isn't anything that is going to change that, so I'm trucking along the best that I can. Living life to the best of my abilities.

Comment

I can't believe I forgot this one, I even tell people who are giving me the "poor thing" eyes, head tilted to the side (I KNOW you've seen it, it's pretty universal).

If I didn't have MS, I wouldn't have got to spend the last 5 years of my Mum's life with her... because I would have been working and quality time would have suffered.

She passed away in 2010, at the age of 86. She had Alzheimer's and I fondly treasure the years when she knew who I was, and even when she didn't.

I would choose MS all over again if I was offered the opportunity to have those 5 years back again.

Jen
                          RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
                          "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Cat Mom, such a great positive thing!

Comment

No. Not for me. Nothing, nada, zilch! I have nothing but contempt for this disease. Sorry.
                              Tawanda

Comment

Working...
                              X