New MS risk factors? Obesity and Birth-control pills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New MS risk factors? Obesity and Birth-control pills

BCP: Overall, researchers found a 30 percent increased risk of developing MS in women who had at least three months of oral contraceptive use, compared to a control group of 3,050 women who did not have MS. Researchers say use of birth control is NOT a firmly established cause for MS, but they do see a link. The results of the study revealed that women who used birth control pills were 35% more likely to develop MS, compared with women who did not use them. Women who had stopped using hormonal contraceptives 1 month before MS symptoms began were 50% more likely to develop the disease.

Obesity Study in Argentina: The investigators found that participants who were obese at the age of 20 were twice as likely to develop MS later in life, compared with individuals of the same age who were not obese.

Additional information on both studies will be presented this April at the American Academy of Neurology's Annual Meeting.

Never been overweight or took BC pills. Again.... they don't know any risk factors.
    Suspected MS 1985. dx 1994 still RRMS EDSS 1.0

Comment

Thanks, Marco. I always appreciate you keeping us updated. I saw the BC Pill link on the news last night...very interesting.

Comment

I also have never been on BC pills or overweight but just curious, did they say why they are risk factors?

Jen
        RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
        "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Ditto, I'm even sickly thin and have never used birth control. I know there's an estrol study and some researchers think that a woman's hormones are neuroprotective and that is why it is more aggressive with men, so I am surprised to read that.

Comment

There may be something to this. BC pills were only legalised in Japan in 1999, and the incidence of MS in that country has risen. I was on the pill for years, but I've never been overweight. Scrawny, if anything.

Doesn't explain what's going on with men, of course.

Comment

Working...
            X