Therapy & my hesitancy to go!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Therapy & my hesitancy to go!

Hi all, thought I'd just get this out. I've been going through trying to get disability, trying to work, just trying to live life, like so many of us. Well, I've been advised to seek mental health help, and I have started the process, but at the same time am dragging my feet!?!?

My neuro won't prescribe anything for me re: depression, and neither will my primary, so I've got to get off my rump and get mental health help... But yet I don't.

What are your experiences with counseling and the like?

Jody
    Jody - AKA Mac1ntosh

I love an Apple...computer that is!
    DX'99 - Started Betaseron April '05 - Quit Betaseron Sept. '15
    Started Gilenya Oct. '15

It has made a world of difference for me.

Why are you hesitant?

Comment

I wish I knew why. Maybe opening floodgates, I dunno. Stupid i know.
      Part of it is, money, it's sorta covered by ins. but with a huge deductible. Like $5k before anything is paid out by ins.

Part of it is I'm just scared. Of what I can't figure out. So I'll just bite the bullet so to speak.

I'm hopeful they'll uncover it.

Jody
      Jody - AKA Mac1ntosh

Started Gilenya Oct. '15

Comment

First of all, Jody, I am sorry for all you are going through. Trust me, whether you are going through disability or not, if you don't follow your treating physicians' recommendations it is not a good thing. There must be something they want addressed if they won't give you anti-depressants. Besides, a psychiatrist is the only other provider who can prescribe meds.

Trust me, Jody, many are fearful of therapy. I wonder what your preconceptions are about therapy?

I would recommend you get a good assessment by a Psychiatrist and see a therapist, if the Psychiatrist recommends you do. Let them know you are scared. It is their job to make sure you feel comfortable.

My guess is that you may have some trust issues or are scared of conflicts you have experienced in your life. You don't have to address any of this publically on here, but know that you may be glad you followed through and tried therapy.

Also know that you can be choosey in who you see. That is seek out someone others may know or do online searches and see what they specialize. I do understand the cost. I would explain this to your present providers. Often they forget this financial barrier for some of us. You could seek out a sliding scale clinic too and pay what you can afford in cash.

Let us know what you need from us. We'll support you through this struggle ok?

Warmly, Jan
        I believe in miracles~!
        2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
        Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

I know therapy isn't for everyone, but I think it is worth a shot. If it helps, it will help every day in the long run and it will help you to adapt emotionally and give you the mental tools to overcome challenges as your MS progresses down the road.

Honestly, I don't think I would have been able to cope with this disease without counselling.

Good luck!

Comment

I personally haven't went through physiological therapy although my primary Dr. suggested I do so.

However, I did just recently go through speech therapy due to a lesion causing swallowing issues for me. I DIDN'T want to go for multiple reasons such as time and money mainly but I reluctantly did it and now I can eat, drink and speak better then I have for the past several years.

I can relate to not wanting to go but from my experience in a different way but it was a huge success.

Good luck in whatever you decide depression can be very debilitating all in itself and to have this disease on top of it can be very challenging.
            Tira

Comment

Mac, my mental health professionals (counselor and psychiatrist) have been more helpful that every doctor and neurologist I've seen in the past year added together.

I totally understand your hesitation. But had I known how much real help they were going to be, I would have started going much earlier.

Comment

I started going to a therapist a couple of years ago, but I didn't mesh with the first one, so I found another one. I think it's an important relationship, so finding the right person makes all the difference. I don't tell many people that I go, probably because of the usual connotations that go along with it, but he's been so helpful that there should be no shame in getting your head on straight. I agree that he has been more helpful than my neurologist has - but then again, I feel more comfortable talking with him than I do with the neuro because I feel like just another case there. Good luck with your decision.
                RRMS diagnosed 8/2004, no meds

Acceptance doesn't mean resignation. It means understanding that something is what it is, and there's got to be a way through it. ~ Michael J. Fox

Comment

Therapy has done me wonders. I would at least give it a try.
                  Katie
                  "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
                  "My MS is a Journey for One."
                  Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

I agree with the others. Money to get therapy isn't a factor in Canada as its covered by our provincial health care. If finances are keeping you away, please try the MS Society (I know, I'm being Captain Obvious) or another charity such as March of Dimes or even Easter Seals.

Just having a non-biased, sympathetic ear really helps.

Jen
                    RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
                    "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Hi Jody,

Well, I've been advised to seek mental health help, and I have started the process, but at the same time am dragging my feet!?!?
                      The below quote answers your questioning and confusion as to why you are dragging your feet.

Maybe opening floodgates, I dunno. Stupid i know.
                      Part of it is I'm just scared. Of what I can't figure out.
                      It's not stupid, Jody.

You already know, even if you can't quite grasp it and/or admit it, that there is something in the past or present that you fear dealing with. It's okay It will be okay

Part of it is, money, it's sorta covered by ins. but with a huge deductible. Like $5k before anything is paid out by ins.
                      There are low cost/no cost Mental Health Facilities which you might qualify for. There are Psychiatrists and Psychotherapists in these Facilities.

What are your experiences with counseling and the like?
                      I sought the help of a Psychiatrist in February 2004. I didn't know what was happening or how to cope, all I knew was my past (suppressed memories coming out) and present traumas were colliding. I was diagnosed with Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (I actually had PTSD starting at a young age, though unaware).

The Psychiatrist I was seeing prescribed medication but also did therapy (not common in the field of Psychiatry). I was a patient of hers for a few years until she lost her license I realized years later that my care was questionable.

At some point I went on to find another Psychiatrist who referred me to a Psychotherapist. I spent 4 years in Psychotherapy, sometimes needing a break. I have now been out of Psychotherapy for about 2 years. I still see a Psychiatrist for medication (Klonopin).

I am not sorry I went into therapy as it was the best thing that could have happened for me. I would go back to therapy in a heart beat if I feel it is needed.

Psychotherapy is a process. It's not always easy and there can be set backs but well worth the effort.

Jody, go into Therapy with an open mind with a 'want' and 'need' to make changes. And most of all, 'work' the process you are about to under take.

Best wishes
                      Diagnosed 1984
                      “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Thanks everyone. I made the appointment, start in a week or so. One thing I REALLY need help with is just accepting the fact I have MS.

I cry immediately just trying to talk about it with friends and family. I feel so pathetic then! I'm worried it'll open the floodgates, and I won't even be able to speak for the first session.

Baby steps, baby steps. Thanks for being here.

Jody
                        Jody - AKA Mac1ntosh

Started Gilenya Oct. '15

Comment

Hi! Sorry you're going thru so much. Iwas "Dragged" kicking & screaming to therapy by my D.D. It was the best thing I'd ever done. I had lost my husband a few months before to Parkinsons & I was dealing w/ 2 exaserbations due to stress. My D.D. called my neuro & he was all for it. I went 2x's a week at first than once a week for about 6 mo.
                          That was 7yrs ago & my MShas progressed to SPMS & I'm doing fine.
                          Keep us posted owlnona!

Comment

Well... I went, and everything was just fine. =)

Never-mind that I was bawling just filling out the billing/ins. information, but I managed to get through it.

Sheesh, this might be worth it after all.

I truly want to figure out why I can't discuss this MonSter.

mac1ntosh
                            Jody - AKA Mac1ntosh

Started Gilenya Oct. '15

Comment

Good for you! It is a process but worth it.

Comment

Working...
                              X