Is this cog fog?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this cog fog?

I've experienced a muddled mind, word searching, spelling a word like there, "their".

This is different....there is serious memory loss. I couldn't find my husband's Valentine's Chocolates yesterday. It's like they went "poof" right off my desk. I have no memory of what I might have done with them.

I also have severe time distortion. Something that happened three days ago feels like three weeks or months ago. My daughter went back to college after Christmas, and the following week I was shocked to find it had only been a week because it felt like a month.

I feel like I am slogging through water each day, maybe even underwater. Just getting up and taking a shower is an unbelievable feat. So many things need to be done, that go undone, or I eventually rationalize that too much time has gone by and that it no longer matters (like Christmas thank you notes).

I could go on, but you get the idea. So do you think of these things as cog fog or something else?
    Crystal

Success is a journey, not a destination

Hi Debby,

I don't remember if you have ever received a diagnosis of MS. Regardless, this would be something to discuss with your Dr. at the earliest convenience.

There can be different causes to what you are experiencing including medications.

Take care
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Yes and doing a neuropsychology appointment for testing will help you sort out what is going on with you too. Your doctor can you with this.

Good luck
      Lisa
      Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
      SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
      Tysabri

Comment

Hey Lisa....what exactly is neuropsych testing? What do they do? What are they looking for? Would this type of testing explain the memory loss and time distortion I've experienced?

Snoopy, to answer your question I am still undxed, but have had sx since about 1992. Every neuro office visit would result in the neuro 100 percent sure I had MS. Then the test results came back inconclusive and I was dismissed.

I take Klonopin for anxiety and pain, as well as Percocet for pain. I know these drugs can affect my memory to a degree, but it is becoming increasingly worse, and the intense time distortions and total blanks in my memory are new and getting worse with no change in medication dosage.
        Crystal

Comment

Hey guys, bumping this up, hoping for some more responses. It happened again....twice my husband detailed out a conversation we had that I have absolutely no memory of. I have begun to wonder if this is MS-related, or early-onset dementia. I am 51....young for dementia, but trying to understand what is happening. There are entire blocks of time I can't account for. I'm scared.
          Crystal

Comment

Is there a certain time of day that this happens? Does it happen mainly when fatigue sets in? Personally, those 2 factors dictate how good or bad my memory works.

Thanks for the good idea by the way... next Valentine's Day I will feast on my hubby's chocolates... then blame my memory!

On a serious note though, maybe keeping a journal might help. It may show you a pattern of when this affects you. Also, make a list of where you put things (other than the elusive "safe place" that's so safe even you don't remember).

Please keep us posted.

Jen
            RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
            "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

hey Debbie, don't be scared. I also have had conversations with my husband that I swear I did not have. Also I told my daughter that I did not go to any MS dinners last year, she said yes you did. She named 4 different dinners I went to, who I went with and what restaurant we went to.

My dad and grandparents suffered from dementia. I have been dx with MS. So who knows. I think if I have dementia and can forget I have MS then that wouldn't be such a bad thing. haha

On a serious note I was a mgr. of a Deli/Bakery, raised 4 happy healthy kids that all played sports. I was very busy and very responsible. If I had to do that now everyone would be in big trouble. I don't know how I have lost my brain function and can't explain.

Keep going to doctors and neuros. Keep track of all your SX, it took about 4 or 5 (can't remember) neuros for me to be DX.

Good Luck!!!!
              DIAGNOSED=2012
              ISSUES LONG BEFORE
              REBIF 1 YEAR

Comment

Working...
              X